Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felt recoil question..MP .45 vs 1911 w/rail

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Felt recoil question..MP .45 vs 1911 w/rail

I'm looking real hard at getting an M&P .45 but I have never shot one. None of my buddies have one to try. For those of you who have both or have shot both side by side I have a few questions.

How would you compare the recoil? I assume that the 1911 will have less felt recoil but how would describe the recoil of the M&P? Snappier..if that's a word Harder to get back on target or eaiser? I have read that the steel rail inserts molded in the frame makes quite a bit of difference compareed to other polymer pistols.

thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nothing is going to feel like a 1911 only because of how smooth a well tuned 1911 is due to all of the guide rail realestate.

Having said that, i dont think you will be disappointed with the M&P .45, its a great shooter and if you do your part you will not be let down.

Trying to describe recoil characteristics is entirely subjective and probably impossible other than me saying its "mild" for a .45.

Feedback Score
    It's been awhile since I ran a couple of magazines through a friend's MP full size .45 on racks of plates . . . but I recall thinking at the time that the MP .45 recoil felt "softer" than on 1911s (without rails) which I've shot for a few decades. I could be full of caca on that, but that's how I remember it.

It was danged easy to flatten plates at 10 yds at a good clip too.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-13-10 at 12:04.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I dont understand why they are only 10 rounds. If they ran 12 round flush fit mags I could be tempted to do all the M&P trigger voodoo for one.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    In my hand the m&p 45 feels a bit softer than the 1911's I've shot it side by side with. As others have said, recoil, muzzle flip, etc. are somewhat subjective and will vary with hand size, grip technique, etc.
    Last edited by calvin118; 08-13-10 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    I have around 4K through my M&P45 Full Size and a few K through various 1911s over the years. I've shot my M&P45 in three 500 round pistol classes (including rapid fire, multiple target engagements, support side shooting) without any issues what so ever. The M&P has better ergonomics, can be fit to the individual shooter's hand via 3 different size palm swells, has a 10+1 capacity, has less muzzle flip, and has a milder recoil that the 1911. I get better accuracy, better recoil management and faster follow up shots. Not that I dislike the 1911, but it is a very dated design, although still a viable one. There are more capable modern .45 cal designs out there like the M&P45 and the HK45, the edge going to the M&P due to cost and the Apex Sear, which I feel isn't really necessary since I like the stock sear on mine. If it were not for the added expense of the .45 ACP vs running my M&P40 and M&P9s, I'd still be shooting the piss out of the gun.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 08-13-10 at 19:12.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Contrary to above opinions, I felt that MP45 recoiled harder and flipped more than 1911. That actually was one of reasons why I lost interest in MP45; another was that I didn't think safety was all that well positioned. This was based only on 16 or 17 rounds though; may have been purely subjective. Similarly, based on even lower round count, I thought that HK45 was about the same in recoil as 1911.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I find 1911s to be the softest shooting .45 ACP pistols (with less muzzle flip) on the market. These do have arched mainspring housings and slightly recontoured grip safeties though.

That said, the Glock 21 SF feels great to shoot as does the HK45 and M&P45 pistols.

Perceived felt recoil is subjective as stated above.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I dont understand why they are only 10 rounds. If they ran 12 round flush fit mags I could be tempted to do all the M&P trigger voodoo for one.
    The reason is because the M&P45 is the same width and grip size as the M&P9 and 40. Only differences is barrel and slide length, and capacity. They did this so that the ergonomics wouldn't suffer like they do on the Glock big bore pistols.
    To add another 2 or 3 rounds would mean expanding the grip.

I would love to see a 12 or 13+1 capacity with the M&P45 in a flush mounted mag, but I also look at it this way. If 8+1 is good enough with the 1911 then 10+1 should be more than enough with the M&P45. Capacity and ergonomics are always a trade off with big bore ammo.

One of the reasons I went from 45acp to .40 was ammunition technology has really improved 40 ballistics and I still get 15+1 with it. Just for giggles the compact M&P45 is 8+1, which is still more than a full size 1911.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - كافر - WOLVERINES! - Rule#2 Double Tap

Feedback Score
    "I dont understand why they are only 10 rounds."
    Perhaps because the USG program the M&P45 was initially designed for specified a 10 rd magazine...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 08-13-10 at 21:43.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast