Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weight lifting: hard on the Central Nervous System"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

"Weight lifting: hard on the Central Nervous System"

I've read in several articles that weight lifting is hard on the Central Nervous System....what is meant by this, exactly?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Most BB rags will talk about weightlifting and the CNS in a negative light.

But realistically, you want to lift heavy and stimulate the CNS during your weight lifting sessions. The more full body movements done, the more CNS stimulation you have, the more suitable of an environment you will have to stimulate muscle growth, use fat for energy, and see increases in strength.

Thus, making large/full body movements like pull-ups, deadlifts, benchpress, squats, snatches, clean and jerks, a staple in your routine is ideal. Routines that require you to balance during the movement are also CNS stimulating. Unfortunately, alot of gyms out there will not allow some of these movements above.

You can over do it for sure, too much CNS stimulation and you dive into the realm of over-training, start to see negative results, energy/motivation crash, attitude changes, sleepy/tired, etc. This can be obtained by training too much, too long, too hard. Finding the sweet spot in how many days a week, how long of a session, and how hard of a session, is crucial to maximize your time. Doing alot of long, intense cardio is also crushing to the CNS.

Having a great workout with a shitty diet afterwards will not allow you to recover from a heavy session. Eating correctly combats cortisol that is released during/after your workout. So do not go home and have a cup of coffee, or a pepsi and eat doritos.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 08-15-10 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    So do not go home and have a cup of coffee, or a pepsi and eat doritos.
    Wait whats wrong with coffee?

Feedback Score
    Gosh, I'm 46, do long intense cardio combined with weights, drink coffee, and for some Godawful reason I am muscular, lean AND have tons of energy.

Must be doing something wrong....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    You can over do it for sure, too much CNS stimulation and you dive into the realm of over-training, start to see negative results, energy/motivation crash, attitude changes, sleepy/tired, etc. This can be obtained by training too much, too long, too hard. Doing alot of long, intense cardio is also crushing to the CNS.
    Yes, but why?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    A maximal contraction, like a 1RM type thing, requires your CNS to fire and recruit as many muscle fibers as possible. In fact a lot of your strength gain from lifting comes from CNS development. A novice weightlifter is only able to recruit a fraction of their fibers. weightlifting theoretically this can fatigue the individual nerve cells if you overdo it. Realistically you're not getting into that territory unless you're maxing an exercise three or four times a week. Even then you'd have to do it for weeks at a time. If you're worried about it you can supplement with albumin which supposedly helps.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    Yes, but why?
    I would like to know as well. Not trying to be contradictory I am just curious because I would like to know more. At what point are you over-stimulating, over-training, etc...?
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Gen William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've been deep into Overtraining Syndrome a couple times, but due to prolonged amounts of cardio. Overtraining is all about CNS overstimulation, from what I've read, but it also said that Overtraining is more common to weightlifters than cardio guys, so that is what is confusing to me....how is many hours a day on a bicycle comparable to a few hours of heavy lifting?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam0331 View Post
    I would like to know as well. Not trying to be contradictory I am just curious because I would like to know more. At what point are you over-stimulating, over-training, etc...?
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...st-part-1.html
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    lol no one answered me, what is wrong with drinking coffee?
    i do it all the time, if there is something wrong with this i gotta know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast