Thread: What about the FN FNC??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

What about the FN FNC??

Thanks to seveal members here like Templer I learned alot about the Galil and the Valmet in another thread. Can you educate me on the FNC? On plcaes like GB they are expensive and stress installing the auto sears. As a NY resident that's a move away from nattering, but the FNC is still interesting. I have the basics, AR compatible mags, fixed or folding stocks, not widely adopted, and used in the movie HEAT.

Beyound that how does the FNC rate within the "legacy" carbines? Does FN still support it? Known issues with the design?

Thanks
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The FNC was FN's attempt to market as successor carbine to their main battle rifle, the FAL, which had been used successfully in many conflicts by over 90 countries.

FN wanted a low cost, easily manufactured, reliable service rifle in 5.56mm. They took a look at what had come before, and chose the Kalashnikov system as a base to work with.

The bolt is multi lugged like an AK, and the bolt carrier and gas piston are a single unit affair like the AK. It operates on a long stroke piston system.

The lower receiver is forged aluminum, the upper receiver is stamped and welded steel. The barrels on the majority of the preban FNC's that were imported into the US will be 18" with a 1/12" twist, although there are more than a few 16" barrel Para's with a 1/7" twist. All barrels are hard chrome lined.

You have an adjustable gas system, although simplified from the FAL's multiple position system. Two settings.....normal and adverse. Easy peasy.

FNC's take NATO STANAG magazines, but do not have a bolt hold open feature.

As far as adoption around the world, the three biggest users that come to mind are Belgium, Sweden (as the AK-5), and Indonesia.

With Uncle Sam and Comrade Boris handing out M16's and AK's during the Cold War like party favors, any other system that was marketed commercially had a very steep uphill climb.

Pros:

Reliable operation, quality manufacturing, decent ergonomics.

There are actually more registered transferable auto sears in the US than there were FNC's imported, so they make an excellent way to get into a 5.56x45mm machine gun at less than the cost of a Colt M16.

Paratrooper side folding stocks and the fixed stock are interchangeable. Pistol grips are the same as the FAL and M249 SAW. Rail systems are available.

Cons:

Lack of OEM spare parts. The rifles haven't been imported for 21 years (makes me feel old, I was selling them new).

The worst thing about the civilian FNC's here in the US are the firing pins. They have a reputation for breaking. I thought that was mostly internet hype, until it happened to me the first time out with a relatively low round count semi auto FNC.

DSA stocked replacement pins, so it would be a good idea to get a couple. I believe the DSA pins are stronger/less prone to breakage than the OEM pins.

I think they're a great carbine, but a current generation M4 type is superior. I'd still like to have one though.

Hope that helps.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com