Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: M855A1 presentation lists improvements over M855

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your aware that the BCD on the ACOG is not compatible with M855A1 either?

77gr Mk262, SOST, or M855A1 have different trajectories than M855, so the whole BCD argument is a red herring.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The difference in trajectory between green tip and A1 comes down to a couple of inches based on the charts in the powerpoint. Not exactly the same, sure, but the BDC on the ACOG's will still be useable, and still fulfill their stated purpose of "increasing hit probability." You're talking about two 62 grain rounds at similar velocities. At extended ranges, the difference in trajectory is likely within the aggregate accuracy potential of the ammo / rifle / shooter combo. But, the BDC will still assist in "increasing hit probability" as it was designed to do. I don't have the time to sit here and look at ballistic tables right now, but I don't think the 77 gr rounds, for example, would be at all close to the BDC at range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    One last point to consider. The big Army almost had to stick with a 62 grain round. Almost every infantryman, cook, mechanic, saxaphone player, you name it.....has an ACOG with a BDC calibrated for a 62 grain round on their issued rifle. I'm tracking that the Mk318 Mod0 SOST is 62 grains and that the trajectory is reasonably close to that of the M855. That definitely would have been a good choice to replace the M855. But anyway, if the Army had chosen a 70+ grain round as many advocate, what would be come of all those shiny, new, expensive ass Trijicons? Just something to think about, and maybe a clue as to why another 62 grain round was chosen. Just too bad it wasn't the SOST.
    Easy solution:

Army adopts 77 gr Mk 262 as standard round.

Old ACOGs go to surplus to offset the costs for the purchase of new ACOGs.

Buy new ACOGs calibrated for 7.62x51mm NATO load.

Give DMRs NF/USO/S&B scopes. Boom. All M4(A1s, and all) guns are retrofitted, and work at longer range.

Trajectory is almost the same.

Profit.

SOST would have been gnarly, but that's too simple, huh?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Army is going Common Squad Optic (1-6 or 1-8x variable)for everyone in the next few years, so the whole ACOG issue is irrelevant in the Grand Scheme.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Army adopts 77 gr Mk 262 as standard round.
    Buying completely into a fragile match round vice something like the available possibilities is a singularly bad idea. It did the job it was supposed to to in the niche that made sense, and it's now time to get real. Accuracy is certainly nice, but it's not the be-all/end-all, and that's not enough to make Mk262 the GP go-to for any reason.

Furthermore, given that the Army had to cough up a gigantic $$$ settlement to the folks they stole the M855A1 design from, what one would or would not call "criminal" is equally irrelevant. The entire enterprise is the result of theft, and netted a round without substantive performance improvement, with greater per-round cost, oh, and the added expense of $40 million because of ballistic plagiarism.

All of the middle and senior managers involved should be strapped to posts, naked, and scourged with nettle bushes. If the 855A1 apologists weren't simply benighted fools, they'd belong there, too, for encouraging the douches to repeat their behavior with stories of false success.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Buying completely into a fragile match round vice something like the available possibilities is a singularly bad idea. It did the job it was supposed to to in the niche that made sense, and it's now time to get real. Accuracy is certainly nice, but it's not the be-all/end-all, and that's not enough to make Mk262 the GP go-to for any reason.

Furthermore, given that the Army had to cough up a gigantic $$$ settlement to the folks they stole the M855A1 design from, what one would or would not call "criminal" is equally irrelevant. The entire enterprise is the result of theft, and netted a round without substantive performance improvement, with greater per-round cost, oh, and the added expense of $40 million because of ballistic plagiarism.

All of the middle and senior managers involved should be strapped to posts, naked, and scourged with nettle bushes. If the 855A1 apologists weren't simply benighted fools, they'd belong there, too, for encouraging the douches to repeat their behavior with stories of false success.
    J,
    Got any particulars on that, that you can share, or send me a PM. Just curious is all.
    A buddy of mine over a LF, you know him, says he's spoke too a guy or two, that have used the A1 stuff, says it works well.

I'm no ballistics guy, but we could probably just issue 55 or 62grn plain Jane ball, and lots of it, and a lot more training, be fine.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Mk. 262 is the only 70+ grain projectile the US Military uses, to the best of my knowledge. That's the only reason I used it.

For a general purpose round Mk. 318 SOST is almost ideal.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Army is going Common Squad Optic (1-6 or 1-8x variable)for everyone in the next few years, so the whole ACOG issue is irrelevant in the Grand Scheme.
    That's awesome. Are they going to hold a trial for it?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Mk. 262 is the only 70+ grain projectile the US Military uses, to the best of my knowledge.
    Not exactly.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's awesome. Are they going to hold a trial for it?
    They will, but Leupolds new $7k wonder already won.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast