Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Barrel? (specifically Daniel defense)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Lightweight Barrel? (specifically Daniel defense)

I'm thinking about getting a lightweight Daniel Defense. I will primarily use it suppressed with a Surefire mini socom. Is the lightweight profile going to handle the weight well or will it heat up and cause poi shifts worse that a .gov profile? Also if anyone has a picture of a ddm4 LW barrel with any Surefire muzzle device I'm curious how it mates up to the thinner barrel.

Any other thoughts pro or con?

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Attachment 22747Attachment 22748Attachment 22749Here's soom pictures for you. First is a bcm standard profile with a surefire socom flash hider and the last two are a dd lightweight 14.5 with socom brake. As far as poi shift I can't tell you.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnchair 04 View Post
    Attachment 22747Attachment 22748Attachment 22749Here's soom pictures for you. First is a bcm standard profile with a surefire socom flash hider and the last two are a dd lightweight 14.5 with socom brake. As far as poi shift I can't tell you.
    How much interface is that? Is the spacer and shims solidly sandwiched or too much overhang or not enough material on the barrel shoulder? Is this a concern?

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    The shims overhang the barrel shoulder slightly but not enough for concern. They're solid I'm not worried about it. I'm on month eight of my suppressor wait hopefully ill be able to answer your other questions soon.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    How thick is the LW barrel on the chamber side of the block? How does it compare with the .gov profile at that point? What diameter gas block is used? Specifically I want to know about daniel defense LW profile.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    From my understanding (and I'm sure you can search this further) is the only difference in the lightweight profile is forward of the gas block. Meaning the government profile and lightweight are the same until the gas block. Then the government steps up the thickness. My dd lightweight barrel uses a .625 gas block( govt should be a .750). Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet either (waiting on a rail) otherwise I could be of more help.

Feedback Score
    I use a DD 14.5" LW with an AAC M4-2000, occasionally a 762-SDN-6, and a 2-MOA Aimpoint. With those cans and sight I have to try very hard to notice any material shift in the POI no matter how hot it gets.

MikeN
    Defensive use a firearm is rarely a marksmanship problem, but it is ALWAYS a mindset problem.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run a Gemtech Halo, which is a pretty heavy can, on a lightweight barrel. I don't have any issues with shim overhang,etc... as I use a Smith Vortex which requires no shim for mounting. At first I ran it on a Standard A2 w/ a peel washer. As for issues, I had none with POI or anything else, even when introducing heavy rates of fire, mag dumps, etc... My barrel came from Model 1 Sales and you mention a DD barrel, so you should be just fine. Good luck in your endeavor.

Feedback Score
    Here's my lightweight DD Barrel with a Surefire MB556k (Click on picture for enlargement)

9189134982_41dde86b62_c.jpg
    Last edited by AR95; 01-24-14 at 01:44.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    WS6,

I can't tell you how much of a POI shift you'll get with a can on the end but I can give you some results I had when I did a test for POI shift on my DD 14.5 CHF LW. I keep meaning to start a thread on this or just add to Trident's thread about said barrel but just can't get the time to do it.

Distance was 100 yards. Shooting from the prone with a Harris. Rifle has a Geissele SD-C and a Leupold VX-6. Was shooting Hornady 55g V-Max and the barrel is free floated. With that said I was able to get a 10 round group 1.1"....and yes I have pics. Started off cold bore with that group at about 65°. Next I did a 30 round mag dump and the laser thermometer read 261° at the gas block and a little cooler just forward of the barrel nut.

Interestingly and contrary to what many think, my second group after the mag dump did not open up. I shot another 10 round group at 1.1". Well technically a 9 shot group. I called one of the shots. Anyway the group didn't open but the POI shifted about one inch down and right. Or an inch shift towards the 4 o'clock position. Now this is conjecture but I'd imagine you'd get an even bigger shift with a can on it. Not sure if this helps much but these were my findings.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 01-24-14 at 08:06.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast