Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I guess you are telling me that I don't know what I don't know.

No, just curious. I see Grant has already given his criteria. I'm much more flexible in mine. I don't think a specific round count says all that much. I look at how the weapon has performed under the use I've given it. As long as it performs well, I'll trust it. I am not likely to trust a weapon with less than 1000 rounds through it, however.
    They had no right to win. Yet they did, and in doing so they changed the course of a war...even against the greatest of odds, there is something in the human spirit - a magic blend of skill, faith and valor - that can lift men from certain defeat to incredible victory.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I've learned that I would never take a pistol or carbine into a class unless I had put 1,000 trouble-free rounds through it.

Aside from sighting in, I'd be shooting drills as commonly performed in classes. A "range session" for me typically is 150 rounds. So seven trips to the range, putting about 150 or so rounds through the gun each time with lubing and wipe down but no detail strip.

After that and a class I'll be willing to bet my life on the gun.

Feedback Score
    I discovered something I didn't know that I didn't know. Shoot on the move drills are a heck of a lot harder in 4-6" tall grass than a perfectly groomed range.

Pretty obvious, but I had not thought about it until I was doing the drills and wobbling all over the target from having to get my feet UP and THROUGH the grass.

I wonder how many other little stupid things are out there that we don not think about, but are obvious when we encounter them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell View Post
    I wonder how many other little stupid things are out there that we don not think about, but are obvious when we encounter them.
    The first that comes to mind is the set of accomodations one may need to make when carrying/shooting in very cold weather. Not everyone has chosen to see if they can access their gear quickly while wearing winter clothes (including real gloves) under any kind of externally applied stress. Some have no idea if their gun(s) will function at low temps or whether or not they can manipulated the controls while wearing real gloves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    The first that comes to mind is the set of accomodations one may need to make when carrying/shooting in very cold weather. Not everyone has chosen to see if they can access their gear quickly while wearing winter clothes (including real gloves) under any kind of externally applied stress. Some have no idea if their gun(s) will function at low temps or whether or not they can manipulated the controls while wearing real gloves.
    Plus things work differently in cold to very cold.

I was shooting on a rain/sleet day in Montana in probably 15-20 degree weather. I learned that the stuff falling on your barrel can steam, which will freeze on everything else on your gun, like an aimpoint.

Having a trigger guard that swings open is really nice for shooting with heavy gloves on.

Feedback Score
    . . . and lubrication issues.

It's not a big deal with a pistol you wear close to your body, but with open carry in the cold, or on a long gun, the wrong lube can make a gun malfunction.

I choose to use lubes that are unaffected by the cold (TW25B for grease, FP-10 and Kellube for oils). But then I know for sure they're fine with my guns in the cold because I have tested them down to -8F.

Some lubes get really thick or gummy when the temp drops below freezing. When you need your guns and it's -20F is a bad time to learn you made the wrong choice.

Feedback Score
    I know that I need alot more training to help me figure out what I don't know.

Hint: Anymore training classes in the future at GTA by the gearmeister?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345