Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone love or hate the Troy TRX Extremes?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3CTactical View Post
    I know this has come up before in different threads, but since more people are running these now, does the general consensus agree with the above remark? And what is "a lot of lead down range in a short period" - 3 mag dumps, 60 rounds at approximately 1 sec per round rate of fire, etc. etc.? Just wanted some more concrete data as I am looking at putting these on some new builds and I don't typically run with gloves on as I'm also pretty used to my Lite rail with the XTMs.
    3 mag dumps, 90 rounds in about 90 seconds and the rail was on the edge of being intolerable without gloves. About half way into my 4th mag, I had to put on my gloves. This was with a pencil barrel. My 13" rail wears an AFG and I was able to shoot 4.5 mags at the same pace through a Centurion LW barrel before I decided to stop and cool the gun. The meat of my left hand and thumb were getting kinda toasty by then but if I switched to just holding on to the AFG and rotated my had so it wasn't wrapped around the top rail I could have gotten away with more rounds before needing gloves.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have 4 Extreme rails.
    1 Troy 11"
    1 VTAC 11"
    2 VTAC 13"

IMHO they're hard to beat for the money. The have a 12 o'clock continuous rails that mount right up against the receiver and they come with two bolt on 2" rails and one 4". They FF the barrel and I've never noticed them getting hot and on of my 13" VTACs is on my 3gun rifle. I don't do mag dumps because that highly impractical. 3gun stages are typically 32 rounds or so sometimes higher but even with my rifle sitting in the sun with the rail warm I've never had it get hot enough that I couldn't hold it with a non gloved hand. Usually if I'm wearing gloves shooting rifle it's because I'm working around barricades/tables with nails, drywall screws and or staples sticking out of them and I and don't want to get cut up.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I love mine (11"), but I had to send it back for repair after removing it the first time and the helicoils pulled out. I installed it again same day I got it back per Troy's instructions and the helicoils pulled out again. They sent me a replacement by next day air. I'm afraid to remove it now to add a rail for fear that the helicoils will come out again. This is it's archilles heel. I would not recommend them to anyone because of this and I don't feel comfortable selling mine to someone knowing that they have this problem. In the future I'll stick with Larue and DD Lite rails.
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

-Archilochus

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Interesting I've installed over 50 of these rails and haven't had any issues.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I only have three but take them on and off all the time to add or remove rails or for cleaning and havent had a problem w/ the coils. Ill be ordering more of these rails as I purchase more rifles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I love mine (11"), but I had to send it back for repair after removing it the first time and the helicoils pulled out. I installed it again same day I got it back per Troy's instructions and the helicoils pulled out again. They sent me a replacement by next day air. I'm afraid to remove it now to add a rail for fear that the helicoils will come out again. This is it's archilles heel. I would not recommend them to anyone because of this and I don't feel comfortable selling mine to someone knowing that they have this problem. In the future I'll stick with Larue and DD Lite rails.
    Remove it and if the coils dont come out Ill purchase it from you.

Feedback Score
    I recently purchased the 13" Troy TRX Extreme for my Mega build. I like how lightweight it is, but have yet to fire a lot of rounds through it to see how it feels warmed up. I usually do not wear gloves, so this may be interesting.

I was unable to figure out how to place the bottom rail in the center, where I would prefer it to be, but am looking for a way to do this. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockster35 View Post
    I recently purchased the 13" Troy TRX Extreme for my Mega build. I like how lightweight it is, but have yet to fire a lot of rounds through it to see how it feels warmed up. I usually do not wear gloves, so this may be interesting.

I was unable to figure out how to place the bottom rail in the center, where I would prefer it to be, but am looking for a way to do this. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
    You could starve yourself until you can get your hand inside the real I have tried to get a rail section further towards center but was w/o luck. Maybe drop the inner part down the rail and hold it by sticking a screwdriver through one of the side holes. I dont know but its worth a try.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    3 mag dumps, 90 rounds in about 90 seconds and the rail was on the edge of being intolerable without gloves. About half way into my 4th mag, I had to put on my gloves. This was with a pencil barrel. My 13" rail wears an AFG and I was able to shoot 4.5 mags at the same pace through a Centurion LW barrel before I decided to stop and cool the gun. The meat of my left hand and thumb were getting kinda toasty by then but if I switched to just holding on to the AFG and rotated my had so it wasn't wrapped around the top rail I could have gotten away with more rounds before needing gloves.
    I have 4 Extreme rails.
    1 Troy 11"
    1 VTAC 11"
    2 VTAC 13"

IMHO they're hard to beat for the money. The have a 12 o'clock continuous rails that mount right up against the receiver and they come with two bolt on 2" rails and one 4". They FF the barrel and I've never noticed them getting hot and on of my 13" VTACs is on my 3gun rifle. I don't do mag dumps because that highly impractical. 3gun stages are typically 32 rounds or so sometimes higher but even with my rifle sitting in the sun with the rail warm I've never had it get hot enough that I couldn't hold it with a non gloved hand. Usually if I'm wearing gloves shooting rifle it's because I'm working around barricades/tables with nails, drywall screws and or staples sticking out of them and I and don't want to get cut up.

Thanks guys, this was exactly the kind of more detailed info on heat that I was looking for. I don't anticipate doing any mag dumps either, but was wondering if I shot through a few mags at a rate of fire of about a round per second how the rail would feel. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    BTW, is there a reason the VTAC version would be preferred over the TROY version other than looks? Also, isn't the TROY lighter than the VTAC version?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast