Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone love or hate the Troy TRX Extremes?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Vtac 11.0 Extreme BattleRail w/ MagPul AFG

The one thing that Im not too crazy about with the Extreme BattleRail design is the barrel nut. At-least Troy now includes their proprietary barrel nut wrench with their BattleRails. I would NOT try to install the Troy barrel nut without the proprietary Troy wrench. The barrel nuts are pretty delicate, and the teeth on them are easily sheared-off if your wrench doesn't fit exactly right and you need to torque it over about 40ft/lbs or so to get proper gas tube alignment.

My advice on setting-up the AFG on the BattleRail is to line-up the rear edge of the AFG with the rear edge of the longer length rail. Otherwise there will be a visible gap between the AFG and the tube, which not only looks like shit, but can also be a snag hazard if you run a 2-point adjustable sling. Here's a pic for reference:
    Last edited by nickdrak; 08-21-10 at 05:31.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks Nick. I just got my 11" VTAC and it will be going on my middy build that is dang near done. Your rifle looks nice.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did a rough on paper calc on weight vs a LW standard upper with FST and plastic handguards vs the LW middy with the 11" TRX rail. I didnt get any weight savings (less than an ounce), but it is a freefloat setup. Anyone have exact weights of this upper?

I was getting the itch for the LW middy + 11" TRX on BCMs website, but I wanted to calculate the weight to see cost benefits. I have a standard LW middy right now and was thinking of changing.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Although you might not get a huge savings in weight, you will have a much easier time mounting a light up front and a VFG/AFG or whatever you run (if you use those). Might not be worth it to you but for some folks I think it is. Just my 2 cents.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A 9.0 TRX Extreme plus cut-down FSB and front BUIS such as the DD weighs less than a set of MOE handguards and a standard FSB. Remember when dealing with plastic handguards you have to factor in the barrel nut, delta ring, handguard cap and the full FSB is heavier than people think.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I love mine.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I love my VTAC Extreme on a BCM LW middy. Just make sure you shoot with gloves on if you plan on putting a lot of lead down range in a short time period. I took it for granted that XTMs do a great job of insulating me from Lite rails.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a question related to this.

Anyone know if the 9.0 lengths are the same as a DD 9.0? I have a suppressed 6933 and I've considered replacing the DD M4 9.0 rail with the VTAC, but I need to know that it stops right at the front edge of the cut-down FSB to ensure that the Ops can will still work with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This probably does you no good but my 11" rail measures 11&3/16", the 13" rail measures 13&1/8".
    I won't go as far as making an assumption about the length of the 9 though.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have a question related to this.

Anyone know if the 9.0 lengths are the same as a DD 9.0? I have a suppressed 6933 and I've considered replacing the DD M4 9.0 rail with the VTAC, but I need to know that it stops right at the front edge of the cut-down FSB to ensure that the Ops can will still work with it.
    Someone asked about the true length of the 9in VTAC in a thread I read a few days ago. If I remember correctly, another guy answered its just over 9 3/8in. I've been searching for thread to make sure, but I can't find it.

This was posted in the big VTAC Extreme thread by Slippers:

He wrote that he took off the handguard cap and there is less an 1/8in gap between the rail and FSB.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast