Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the AR? Need help with your first purchase? READ HERE FIRST!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New to the AR? Need help with your first purchase? READ HERE FIRST!!

In an attempt to limit the number of repetitive "I'm new and want to buy my first AR" type of threads I have created and stickied this thread. If you want to ask a general question about which AR brand is better, what should your first purchase be, etc; this is the place to do it. If you create a thread asking these questions and noticed that it has disappeared; check here because I've probably merged your thread into this one.

If you have a question about something specific; feel free to make a thread asking it.

Before creating any threads though; I ask that you read the following link and make sure your question has not already been asked and answered:

Knowledge-based threads

If you have any questions about this please send me or one of the other mods/staff members a PM.

Thanks
    Last edited by NCPatrolAR; 08-22-10 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    THANK YOU!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score

Post Want a First AR

What Would be a good starter? for a good price? With accuracy?
    I am looking for a good beginners AR. Preferably Cheap with decent accuracy. I don't mind manufacturer or anything like that, just a base line beginner AR
    America - Unmatched since 1776

Feedback Score

DD vs BCM M4 - Best Value

All

I am going to purchase an M4 in the near future and seem to be stuck between DD and DCM. From the reports both are great weapons. Which is the best? Is the DD really $200+ better than the BCM? Please advise.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I personally would go DD. I have used them for a bunch of parts, and all have been excellent. Customer service is great as well, and well everyone has a BCM lol. Seriously though they are tough well built rifles, that are very accurate. Not sure what package you are looking at, but I know the DD rifles come with a lot of nice extras.
    Last edited by The Solid; 08-20-10 at 22:43.

Feedback Score

Reponse for The Solid

Solid

How much should I worry about a lifetime warranty? Also, do you really think the DD is worth the extra 25% cost over a BCM?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Warranties are valuable, I know DD comes with a warranty,website doesn't say if it is lifetime or not, I think the BCM comes with lifetime...Cost really depends on what package you are looking at.
    Last edited by The Solid; 08-20-10 at 22:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You know this is a tough choice when you think about quality, as they are both excellent companies. The first complete semi-custom upper I ever purchased was a Daniel Defense complete upper. However my last two have been BCM.

With quality being taken care of with either choice, the decision will probably come down to configuration, and price. All my ARs have Daniel Defense rails, but when I look at the BCM line I see better choices for configuration and a better price.

After a complete DD upper, a DD lower, two BCM uppers and a BCM lower, my next AR purchase will be another BCM.

Cameron

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Another Nube (almost first AR)

I picked up a Bushmaster M4 from an individual (no trail). I then found this site and found it is not as great a gun as the hype. Anyway, it's a 16" and I really wanted a 20" so I ordered a BCM upper, BCG and YHM handguard for it. I also have a CMMG .22 conversion kit.
    I was thinking of making the Bushmaster upper a more or less dedicated .22 and using the BCM for 5.56.
    Then I got to thinking, why not get another lower? I will pick one up off the books so it will be a target of opportunity.
    I need to know what to look for in a lower (stripped or complete) and what to avoid.
    I'm in Wyoming (a Sarah Brady "D" state) so configuration is not a problem, as long as it isn't NFA.
    Any advice?

Thanks,
    Hals1
    Last edited by hals1; 08-22-10 at 21:00.

Feedback Score

should i trade? and what for

2 part questions and thanks for the help.

I have a beretta c x 4 9mm I am thinking of trading for a new ar. I own a stag model 8, but would like a standard gas operating. I bought the cx4 for 1000 and was offered 500 trade. What are your guys thoughts on this? Its a nice little carbine to have, but cleaning is a pain and its application is not as appealing to me as an ar. I live in nj so my options on ar's are limited. I would be choosing between a colt post ban m4 and a bushmaster post ban m4, or the stag model 2. any recommendations? THANKS!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast