Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Michigan SBR Law

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0

    Michigan SBR Law

    So I've just saved enough to buy my first Noveske rifle. I've had my eyes set on the 12.5" models, only to find out that SBRs are prohibited in MI.

    If I understand correctly, Michigan Law states that the minimum legal barrel length for a rifle should be 16 inches and the overall length has to be over 26 inches. If the barrel is shorter than that or the overall length of the rifle is under 26 inches...the weapon is not legal in Michigan. Someone please confirm or dispute my understanding of the said law.

    1. So if I were to buy a 14.5 with the flash hider, would that make me compliant with MI laws?

    2. What would be the overall length of a Noveske with 12.5" barrels?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,307
    Feedback Score
    0
    In Michigan.....

    barrel below 16 inches with non-pinned/welded muzzle attachment = SBR and is illegal.

    Rifle below 26 inches in overall length whether the stock is folded or not = SBR and is illegal.

    rifle has 16 inch barrel, but rifle is between 26-30 inches whether stock is folded or not = pistol and needs pistol purchase permit and registration.

    If I understand correctly, Michigan Law states that the minimum legal barrel length for a rifle should be 16 inches and the overall length has to be over 26 inches. If the barrel is shorter than that or the overall length of the rifle is under 26 inches...the weapon is not legal in Michigan. Someone please confirm or dispute my understanding of the said law
    It's correct, except that in MI if the stock can be retracted or folded and be under 26 inches when folded/retracted, it's an SBR and therefore illegal. MI law regarding what defines an SBR is different from federal law. This is the reason why we can't have the Uzi carbine with the folding stock because with the stock folded, the length of the weapon becomes under 26 inches and is now an SBR, therefore illegal.

    So if I were to buy a 14.5 with the flash hider, would that make me compliant with MI laws?
    Assuming the barrel is 14.5 inches, the flash hider would have to be 1.5 inches long and permanently attached to be 16 inch legal.

    What would be the overall length of a Noveske with 12.5" barrels?
    Overall length of the rifle? Not sure, but it would still be an illegal SBR due to the 12.5 inch barrel.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    49
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You could also purchase the upper and have it on a lower registered as a pistol. This would mean the lower only has a buffer tube though...no stock.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    19,761
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    Mr. V,

    Since you cannot have an SBR I would stick with a good proven 16" carbine. I would not get an expensive barrel and pin a flash hider in place, nor would I get a gay AR pistol.

    That's my .02 cents.





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you for making it clear for me.

    I guess I have no choice but go with a 16" Noveske or KAC.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    104
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That is unfortunate about your local laws. I have owned a couple of Noveskes and no matter what the length, they are great guns. However if your mind was set on going with a short barrel and permanently attaching a compensator to reach 16"; I saw this picture on another forum and it came to mind when I read your first post. Personally I would rather go 12.5", but if I legally couldn't, I thought is was pretty cool. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.



    Oh, If I remember correct it's a Noveske barrel cut to 13.7" with a perm attached KX3.

    .
    Last edited by Enoc; 08-25-10 at 12:58.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    19,761
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    Here is my question. Why would you want to go to 13.7" with a permed flash hider? In this case you are losing probably a couple of hundred feet per second in MV and not benefit at all.

    If you can't get the benefit of a short barrel I don't see how this makes any sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoc View Post
    That is unfortunate about your local laws. I have owned a couple of Noveskes and no matter what the length, they are great guns. However if your mind was set on going with a short barrel and permanently attaching a compensator to reach 16"; I saw this picture on another forum and it came to mind when I read your first post. Personally I would rather go 12.5", but if I legally couldn't, I thought is was pretty cool. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.



    Oh, If I remember correct it's a Noveske barrel cut to 13.7" with a perm attached KX3.

    .





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Assuming the barrel is 14.5 inches, the flash hider would have to be 1.5 inches long and permanently attached to be 16 inch legal.
    Almost. But you're an inch short.

    You have 1/2" or so of overlap between the barrel and the flash hider. So 14.5" + 1.5" only equals 15" when assembled.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    104
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Here is my question. Why would you want to go to 13.7" with a permed flash hider? In this case you are losing probably a couple of hundred feet per second in MV and not benefit at all.

    If you can't get the benefit of a short barrel I don't see how this makes any sense.
    Haha, I agree with you. I'm saying if you were dead set on going with the short barrel and pinned brake, I think that would be cool. It will have more velocity than a 12.5" barrel and still makes legal requirements for length at 16.1". I'm not debating on FPS, you loose velocity with any SBR, I'm just saying it looks like fun if I had to make it legal length.
    Last edited by Enoc; 08-26-10 at 11:14.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    19,761
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    It just doesn't compute. Especially when you look at the cost of the barrel, the flash hider and the cost of pinning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoc View Post
    Haha, I agree with you. I'm saying if you were dead set on going with the short barrel and pinned brake, I think that would be cool. It will have more velocity than a 12.5" barrel and still makes legal requirements for length at 16.1". I'm not debating on FPS, you loose velocity with any SBR, I'm just saying it looks like fun if I had to make it legal length.





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    232
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I agree with Iraqgunz, there's no sense in doing the 13.7" barrel/KX3 combo when a 14.5"/Vortex (or similar) set-up will yield an upper with the same barrel length and less weight. I lived in MI and would never have bought the 13.7" for the above reason, in addition to not wanting to lose the muzzle velocity of the round.

    I live in an SBR-friendly state now so I accept the trade-off of velocity for compactness. But in MI, you gain nothing (other than weight) with the suggested 13.7" configuration.

    But then again, I'm more of a function over form kind of person so "it would look cool" isn't a valid reason for me. Function IS cool.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    104
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lol this is getting taken way to seriously and off topic from the OP. I completely agree with both of you. I never suggested going with the 13.7 over a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel was superior at all. If I lived in MI... I would move to a different state. Problem solved.

    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    I agree with Iraqgunz, there's no sense in doing the 13.7" barrel/KX3 combo when a 14.5"/Vortex (or similar) set-up will yield an upper with the same barrel length and less weight. I lived in MI and would never have bought the 13.7" for the above reason, in addition to not wanting to lose the muzzle velocity of the round.

    I live in an SBR-friendly state now so I accept the trade-off of velocity for compactness. But in MI, you gain nothing (other than weight) with the suggested 13.7" configuration.

    But then again, I'm more of a function over form kind of person so "it would look cool" isn't a valid reason for me. Function IS cool.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    113
    Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I live in MI and have settled on full auto as being the way to have shorter rifles and shotguns. Doesn't work so well if you don't have an SOT, though.

    If you want a shorter gun, check out this upper which is legal in MI:

    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...cm-uh-eag1.htm



    Jake

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    I live in MI and have settled on full auto as being the way to have shorter rifles and shotguns. Doesn't work so well if you don't have an SOT, though.

    If you want a shorter gun, check out this upper which is legal in MI:

    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...cm-uh-eag1.htm



    Jake
    Question:

    How is that Michigan-legal if it's 14.5"? Is it due to the flash hider making up for the 1.5"? Thanks!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    429
    Feedback Score
    0
    If the muzzle device is permanently attached then it counts towards barrel length.

    Also realize that MI measures OAL with the stock in it's shortest position IF (and ONLY IF) the rifle is still 'fully operable' in suck a position.

    This means a rifle like the Sub 2000 is legal, as when folded it cannot be fired. It still must be registered as a pistol due to OAL when unfolded, however.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    587
    Feedback Score
    0
    When a muzzle accessory is permanently attached, it's part of the barrel for OAL consideration. The barrel is considered 16 inches and not an SBR in Michigan. That is simply a waste of money IMO since you are giving up 1.5 inches of rifled barrel yet maintaining the same OAL. You are losing velocity. Since you are limited to a 16 inch or longer barrel in MI (unless FA) I would get a 16 inch barrel and be done with it. No need to complicate things.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    429
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    When a muzzle accessory is permanently attached, it's part of the barrel for OAL consideration. The barrel is considered 16 inches and not an SBR in Michigan. That is simply a waste of money IMO since you are giving up 1.5 inches of rifled barrel yet maintaining the same OAL. You are losing velocity. Since you are limited to a 16 inch or longer barrel in MI (unless FA) I would get a 16 inch barrel and be done with it. No need to complicate things.
    The 14.5" is still shorter, unless the 16" barrel has no muzzle device.

    Just because the goobermint considers it 'invisible' if it's not permanently attached doesn't mean it's not there...the OAL of the 16" barrel will be 17"+ with most muzzle devices.

    If you want a 14.5" barrel, and have no plans of removing the muzzle device, then I don't see why it's not a viable option. If you're into changing the MD every other week or adding a free float rail after it's pinned then it's probably not the wisest choice. It IS shorter, and if you're never touching the MD anyways I don't get why it's so bad.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    587
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
    The 14.5" is still shorter, unless the 16" barrel has no muzzle device.
    You missed the entire point. 14.5 plus muzzle device to make the barrel a legal 16 inches is still 16 inches. If you're limited to 16 inches of barrel, why would someone want a 14.5 + muzzle device instead of a full 16 inch barrel.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    19,761
    Feedback Score
    80 (100%)
    Exactly. Where did the whole necropost come from?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    You missed the entire point. 14.5 plus muzzle device to make the barrel a legal 16 inches is still 16 inches. If you're limited to 16 inches of barrel, why would someone want a 14.5 + muzzle device instead of a full 16 inch barrel.





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    429
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    You missed the entire point. 14.5 plus muzzle device to make the barrel a legal 16 inches is still 16 inches. If you're limited to 16 inches of barrel, why would someone want a 14.5 + muzzle device instead of a full 16 inch barrel.
    Because it's 1.5" shorter with a MD added...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •