Thread: Flat top uppers optics and FSB

Feedback Score

Flat top uppers optics and FSB

I intend on mounting a 3-9x38 scope on a flat top upper. If I order a standard BCM upper with the FSB will the front sight obstruct the scope requiring me to mount the scope higher than ergonimically optimal ( I want to be able to maintain a cheekweld.)

It will basically be a scope only gun, unfortunately I missed out on the S&W OR deal and can't find another quality rifle without a FSB, and don't know if it is even an issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think you will notice it at 3x.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It could be as little as 1.5x, and an FSB wil not scientifically/technically interfere with the shooter's ability to observe or shoot. The FSB is optically burned through because it's inside the near-focus range of the magnified optic. One will likely note a blur at the bottom of the field of view, but it can be seen through.

It may psychologically interfere if the shooter vapor-locks on the indistinct blur at the 6 o'clock position instead of what's downrange, but that's not the same thing, human error only.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    No. The focal length will make the FSB disappear, other than a faint shadow. You won't pick-up any detail, so the shadow shouldn't be a distraction.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In your other post you said you had already bought the S&W, something is fishy here....your other post was odd, but now this one. hmmm...After about 2x i really don't notice the FSP, FWIW.

Feedback Score
    This is something I never knew.

You mean I can mount a scope and not worry about the FSB blocking the sight picture using 1" Picatinny-Rings?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=116860
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    You still want the scope mounted around 1.5" above the rail. The highest rings Ive used on an AR were 1.375", and those had a tight cheek weld. 1.0" rings would be exceptionally low, and you would struggle to get a good sight picture without smashing your cheek against the stock.

But even with a 1.1X scope the FSB just becomes a faint shadow.

Feedback Score
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    This may be just what I want.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=199560

And it's on sale for $69.99

Certified Glock Armorer