Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First 1911

Feedback Score

First 1911

Finally got my cash saved for my first 1911. $1100 is my budget. I am a lefty but I hear I can get an ambi safety added east enough. All that said I'm looking for some range time with it. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Correct: with an ambidextrous safety, the 1911 presents no problems at all to a left-handed firer.

The "problem" in the 1911 game is that it requires competent hands to initially get one set up properly, and bench time costs money; for this reason, there is no such thing as a budget 1911, and sub-$1k models should probably be viewed as suspect until proven otherwise. The other concern in today's market is that, in an attempt to pack as many features as possible into a gun at a specific price point, most manufacturers have resorted to using less than the best-grade parts.

I can only speak for myself, but in your stead, I would buy a new 1991 Series Colt Government Model -- or a used Wilson CQB -- fire a few hundred rounds through it, and then see what, if anything, I wanted to change. Once you've got that sorted out, find a competent pistolsmith to work over your fire control parts as desired, or to add/replace any features that are especially important to you, and you'll have an excellent gun.

AC

Feedback Score
    Take a look at the articles written by Hilton yam, they contain some good information on what to look for in a 1911.
    Last edited by pro2; 08-29-10 at 08:43.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pro2 View Post
    Take a look at the articles written by Hilton yam, there is some good information on what to look for in a 1911.
    Great suggestion. And it depends on what you are getting your 1911 for. If it's duty or protection gun, buy a basic Springfield or Colt, a lot of mags and ammo, then shoot it enough to find what parts to replace to make it work better for you. If it's a target/match gun, you'll have to spend more. My two Springfield Loaded 1911s are duty and off-duty guns and I am very happy with them.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cityplayer View Post
    Finally got my cash saved for my first 1911. $1100 is my budget. I am a lefty but I hear I can get an ambi safety added east enough. All that said I'm looking for some range time with it. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks
    save up another $200 - $250 and browse the forums for a lightly used Baer TRS...I've seen them sell for CHEAP! You won't regret it and people are selling stuff for cheap these days because there are not many buyers.
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 08-29-10 at 12:47.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What do you plan to use your 1911 for? Some folks use them just for range time or target shooting, others use for home defense or carry.

It does make a difference. Some of the production 1911's around $1k are very accurate and just fine for range work. But I wouldn't carry ANY of the current $1K production 1911's without some significant working over by a competent 1911 gunsmith.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Some of you guys are unduly harsh regarding sub-$1K 1911s. There is truth that generally the more you pay the more reliable the gun. While this is generally true, it isn't universal. Most of the problems with unreliability in sub-$1k 1911s is that people try to enhance them themselves and make things worse. About the only thing that needs to be done with most sub-$1k 1911s is a trigger job and maybe tune the extractor.

I have seen many SA Mil-Specs go through a couple thousand rounds with little problem. I have seen Wilsons become jam-o-matics. Reliability isn't attached to a price tag.

To the OP, if you want a 1911 for defense or duty, and you do not have experience with a 1911, you are better off choosing a different platform. If you want one because you want one and will train with it and maintain it, go for it. Having an ambi safety added ain't a big deal (just don't do it yourself..."drop-in" 1911 parts aren't).

At your price range are SA TRPs, Les Baers, used Wilsons, STI, SIG, Colt, S&W.

Feedback Score
    For the OPs $1100 budget I would look at the following:

Springfield MC Operator
    Springfield TRP (lightly used)
    Dan Wesson preferrably at Valor if you can find one
    New production Colt either series 70 or 80.

Another option other posters have mentioned is getting a used Les Baer or Wilson Combat. That is a great option as well especially if you have some patience.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would look for a used Les Baer or other factory custom.

Feedback Score
    At the bare minimum I would buy a Colt without the 80's series firing pin safety and send it to someone like Steve Morrison for a reliability job and replace some parts (especially the extractor and better sights).

A Colt because they seem to have the least MIM parts (Mag catch & mag catch lock, sear, disconnector).

Honestly, after some reliability work from a good smith and replacing the meh parts with quality ones (by the smith, don't do it yourself!), the gun will probably be as reliable as any 1911 is capable of...

This is for a reliable but very basic 1911 without checkering or other features you might want. Accuracy may not be like the semi-customs, but I doubt you will outshoot it.

IMO it's true that one does not need to spend $2,000+ for a reliable 1911.

Just about $1,500+.

I'm planning to go this route myself in the future.

Edit: Do you realize you can buy two very good .45's for the price of a single basic 1911? A bare bones basic 1911 would not even come close to competing with the more modern .45's IMO.

For example:

You can buy TWO S&W M&P45s for the price + ammo

or an HK45 + a S&W M&P45 almost.

or just one pistol + a class!
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 08-29-10 at 14:07.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast