Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First 1911

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    First you need to clarify what you needs and expectations are for the 1911. If it is for duty/CCW/HD then read here www.10-8performance.com and decide if the 1911 is the right platform for you. If you are wanting to carry a 45 ACP for any of these roles but you don't want to dive in to the deeper end of the 1911 options, then I would strongly suggest a M&P45 FS or midsize with the Apex DCAEK, Warren or Ameriglo sights, and a good stippling job.

If you want it for a range/fun gun then a base Springfield or Colt is a good option. They are also great guns for custom builds once you've found what modifications you need and work for you. I would recommend the Springfield Custom Shop for a faster turn around time. They do great work and their turn around time is a little faster than some of the more sought after 1911 smiths due to their huge work load.

You get what you pay for in a 1911, and yes you can find sub 1k 1911's that run, but they are fewer and further between than your higher end semi-customs or full custom builds.

I own many 1911's in different flavors for different things. I have some that I carried on duty and will run like a G19 but I paid to get them there. I have others that are for competition and range fun. I love the 1911 platform more than any other but when it comes time to hit the streets and deal with the shit heads I'm carrying a M&P40. YMMV.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Right on, SWATcop...
    PURPOSE...then Preference!

*my G23 isn't nearly as "pretty" as any 1911...
    Then again, the Glock will eat anything it's fed & is always ready...& never even entered a beauty contest!

(still, though, I sure love the look, feel, & tight shot pattern of the 1911)

...Can't wait to see pics of what gets to be THE FIRST...
    (just don't do the dumb thing I did, & trade it, if a new pistol grabs your attention)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop1911 View Post
    If you want it for a range/fun gun then a base Springfield or Colt is a good option. They are also great guns for custom builds once you've found what modifications you need and work for you. I would recommend the Springfield Custom Shop for a faster turn around time. They do great work and their turn around time is a little faster than some of the more sought after 1911 smiths due to their huge work load.
    Agree with all of this. Springfield/Colt are great "starter options", plus everyone knows how to customize these two, and a lot of the well known shops use these brands as base 1911's for custom builds. Springfield in particular is a good way to go, as you can get one of their "milspec" or Loaded models that has the base features you want, and build it up later with their custom shop.

This is similar to what I did, and I currently have 2 Springfield 1911's that started life as more basic production models, but were upgraded by the Custom shop to a level of reliability that I can now carry them (but in all honestly, my regular carry is an M&P 9). A person could get a basic Springfield "milspec" for around $600 give or take, shoot it for a thousand rounds or so to see how it works, then if needed send it to the custom shop and have them do some tuning to upgrade in a few key areas. If you browse the popular 1911 forums, like http://forums.1911forum.com in the Springfield 1911 section, you'll find good advice and the most common upgrades that people have done to the more basic models, to "reliable-ize" them. With base pistol plus mods, you can still come in for under $1K, unless you add a bunch of expensive "extras" like coatings, match barrel, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop1911 View Post
    I love the 1911 platform more than any other but when it comes time to hit the streets and deal with the shit heads I'm carrying a M&P40. YMMV.
    Couldn't agree more. The trigger, the overall feel in the hand, and the accuracy of a well tuned 1911 to me are just hard to beat for pure shooting pleasure. But when it comes to carry, the weight, expense, and lower capacity of 1911's to me are all issues that for me personally, make them less practical as a carry option. That's why I go with an M&P for carry.
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-30-10 at 10:43. Reason: fix URL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Agree with all of this. Springfield/Colt are great "starter options", plus everyone knows how to customize these two, and a lot of the well known shops use these brands as base 1911's for custom builds. Springfield in particular is a good way to go, as you can get one of their "milspec" or Loaded models that has the base features you want, and build it up later with their custom shop.

This is similar to the most common upgrades that people have done to the more basic models, to "reliable-ize" them. With base pistol plus mods, you can still come in for under $1K, unless you add a bunch of expensive "extras" like coatings, match barrel, and so on.
    So... If he goes this route, but buys a clean, used 1911...
    Springfield still keeps lifetime warranty & stands behind all their own changes, too, Right?

*(getting a little 1911 fever, myself!!!!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123