Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First 1911

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There have been a couple threads on the subject including this one:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=44263

My post:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=35

Unfortunately my Comcast site got hacked and is down at the moment so the 1911 chart I am working on is not up.

I agree that the 1911 does take more care to keep running than a newer gun like a HK, Glock, or M&P but I still think it is one of the best platforms for 45ACP.

Just like any firearm, If you are going to use it in a defense role, whether it is for carrying on duty or as a concealed permit holder, you really need to get some training using the gun.

If or when you do buy a 1911, get some good magazines like Chip McCormick Power Mags or Tripp magazines. Both have a good reputation and will last longer than most of stuff that is provided with the guns from the factory.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    save up another $200 - $250 and browse the forums for a lightly used Baer TRS...I've seen them sell for CHEAP! You won't regret it and people are selling stuff for cheap these days because there are not many buyers.
    +1 go this route

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Some of you guys are unduly harsh regarding sub-$1K 1911s. There is truth that generally the more you pay the more reliable the gun. While this is generally true, it isn't universal. Most of the problems with unreliability in sub-$1k 1911s is that people try to enhance them themselves and make things worse.
    I think it would be difficult to characterize "most" of the problems with "budget" 1911's as the result of an idiot end user with a dremel. Just the other day I was in the gunstore and I looked at few sub 1K 1911s in the case...and the problems were apparent. Improperly fitted safeties, an improperly angled feed ramp...these things are not the result of an end user who doesn't know what they are doing. It's the result of factories who either do not know or do not care about building a reliably functioning 1911.

Can you buy a 1911 that will run for $1100? Of course.

The question is how someone who does not know 1911's goes about spotting the ones that work from the ones that will be perpetual problem children...and the answer is that absent significant training and experience they really can't.

If I had to buy a sub-1K 1911 right now I would buy a Colt.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 08-29-10 at 20:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Agreed on all but:

If or when you do buy a 1911, get some good magazines like Chip McCormick Power Mags or Tripp magazines. Both have a good reputation and will last longer than most of stuff that is provided with the guns from the factory.

Make sure to test hollowpoints like gold-dots through your 1911 with McCormick mags before carrying.

I was surprised at how much the shorter follower leg allows it to dip/tilt foward, causing the rounds to just slam against the feedramp and stay there...

This happened on both of my springfield 1911's, one was a PRO. Stupid me started to doubt my 1911's, then I did the same test (slide lock reload) with my factory mags (dimpled followers) and they fed just fine.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    save up another $200 - $250 and browse the forums for a lightly used Baer TRS...
    This or a PII and if you want fixed sight have John Harrison instal his fixed rear for a Bomar cut...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I think it would be difficult to characterize "most" of the problems with "budget" 1911's as the result of an idiot end user with a dremel. Just the other day I was in the gunstore and I looked at few sub 1K 1911s in the case...and the problems were apparent. Improperly fitted safeties, an improperly angled feed ramp...these things are not the result of an end user who doesn't know what they are doing. It's the result of factories who either do not know or do not care about building a reliably functioning 1911.

Can you buy a 1911 that will run for $1100? Of course.

The question is how someone who does not know 1911's goes about spotting the ones that work from the ones that will be perpetual problem children...and the answer is that absent significant training and experience they really can't.

By and large I agree with everything you have stated. Maybe I should not have said "most," but instead "a massive crap-load." I do agree that a lot of manufacturers' QC are spotty, especially the companies that have less that ideal professional integrity. I do stand by that generally speaking most people can buy a 'cheap' 1911 (under $1,000) of a reputable manufacturer and with very little modification have what they need out of a 1911.

I completely agree that the best purchasers are people who know what to look for, and without a lot of experience behind the trigger or at the bench, that can be hard to do.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    Agreed on all but:

Make sure to test hollowpoints like gold-dots through your 1911 with McCormick mags before carrying.

I was surprised at how much the shorter follower leg allows it to dip/tilt foward, causing the rounds to just slam against the feedramp and stay there...

This happened on both of my springfield 1911's, one was a PRO. Stupid me started to doubt my 1911's, then I did the same test (slide lock reload) with my factory mags (dimpled followers) and they fed just fine.
    Oh that dimple thing, I still am not sure I buy the theory surrounding that but OK.

I probably should have gone more in depth about the magazines. Unfortunately, 1911's are not built to a standard. Feedramps have different angles, slidestops have different profiles, etc. Same goes for magazines.

The Power Mags work great in everything I have tried them in -Baer, Kimber, Dan Wesson, my own custom build, and a couple of local USPSA shooters run the 10 rounders with success in their Springfields. They are the best all-around mag that I know of but I would test any mag in your particular 1911 before buying more than one.

I recently noticed that CM has changed the follower in the Power Mag and am curious as to how they do.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wink 1911's...one of the more addictive pistols

Though I've not owned one of the custom "superstars", I have owned Springfields & still have a Sig. The Springfield Loaded models (& the higher end models) are well under your budget & the trade regrets, I miss the most!
    Accurate, Reliable, & w/ great Warranties.

*For me... If I had friends who owned a model that interests me, I'd try to get a little range time, w/ them... If not see if I renting one was an option, before dropping the cash & thinking of what I wished I'd done...a few days after the fact*

My best purchases were "gently used", some not even "broken in"...
    As was the case with this one, in the used case, but manufactured 2 months prior:
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...RCS-NITRON.jpg

*Some of the best advice I ever received...
    (though not nearly as "fun" as dropping a wad of $$$), was for me to buy in the mid to upper budget range... & use the savings for practice ammo & quality gun leather*

Then again, blowing a chunk of cash on the pistol is WAY FUN...& one could always save more cash for practice ammo & accessories...

...So, kinda hard to go wrong...
    They're all pretty addictive, regardless of make/model

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post

if I had to buy a sub-1K 1911 right now, I would buy an M&P45.

Seriously. I am not trying to be witty.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Oh that dimple thing, I still am not sure I buy the theory surrounding that but OK.
    The dimple on the follower isn't relevant to my failures to feed malfs, as it wasn't the last round that was being fed.

Notice the much shorter leg on the bottom McCormick power 10 mag.

BTW, I read John Travis/1911 Tuner posts, so I believe in the dimple.
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 08-30-10 at 02:52.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast