Thread: My 1st build is done. Sort of a poorman's better rifle/budget Recce-type rifle.

Feedback Score

My 1st build is done. Sort of a poorman's better rifle/budget Recce-type rifle.

I wanted to step up to something that was a notch or two above the two 5.56 NATO, 1:9, chrome-lined, 16" middies that I already had. I was originally looking at a better complete upper from Ranier, LaRue, and Bravo Company, but the $1100-$1200 lump sum expediture made me feel sort of ill. So I decided to research building my own upper. Acquiring the needed parts one at a time would be much easier on the bank account. Since I would be causing less trauma to the finances, I decided to go ahead and attempt to build a 'better complete rifle than I already had.' Since the better uppers I was originally looking at ran around $1200, I set that as my budget.

Some of the parts I used may be frowned upon here, but I felt compromises were necessary to stay on budget. It's not that I purchased and used parts that I hated or didn't want, but instead I scrutenized first how important I felt a particular component was to the overall build, and second what my personal preferences were for that component. At this point in time, I consider myself a passionate hobbyist. I am not current/former military or LEO, and I am not a hardened competitor or current avid carbine class taker. Don't read me wrong here, as I am not ripping on any of those folks. I am merely stating what I am, and what I am not. While I'd love to seek some formal instruction and participate in some organized events, I am limited at this time to occasional plinking at the range. I am just a guy who enjoys shooting, loves the AR platform, wants to learn as much as I can about the platform and how to use, and wants to help others enjoy the sport/hobby, as well.

Blah, blah, blah. I talk too much. Here's my new rifle:

Specs:
    Superior Barrels 'Amynta' Recce barrel, 16.1" mid-length gas with headspaced bolt (included gas tube)
    Daniel Defense bolt carrier (got the complete BCG, but didn't use bolt)
    Superior Barrels improved National Match A2 flash hider clocked with peel washer
    YHM Specter gas block
    YHM rifle length Lightweight handguard
    YHM stripped upper receiver ( I lapped the thread face)
    BCM ejection port cover assembly
    BCM forward assist assembly
    BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 charging handle
    Troy Industries Fix Front and Read Battlesights

DPMS stripped lower
    DPMS LPK
    DPMS Ami selector
    Bill Springfield 3 lb trigger job
    Magpul MOE enhanced trigger guard
    Tango Down Battlegrip
    Fulton Armory A1 stock assembly, complete

Roughly about $1160 as pictured without figuring shipping for parts:

Changes to the original config:
    Swapped out the fixed rear sight for a Troy folder
    Added an affordable Bushnell 1-4x scope I already had in a Primary Arms extended mount
    Added Magpul B.A.D.

I took a vacation day this past Friday just so I could get out and shoot. It was a beautiful day with light, but steady crosswinds. The only thing that sucked was getting to the range and realizing that I left my spotting scope at home.

I sighted in the irons and scope at 50yds with Federal Walmart bulk 55 gr, and then moved to 200 yds. At 200 yds, I shot more of the Federal 55 gr, Black Hills red box 50 gr VMAX, Black Hills blue box 55 gr FMJ, and Black Hills blue box 69 gr FMJ. My best 10-shot group at 200 yds was about 3.026", and was achieved with the 50 gr VMAX, with the scope at 4x, the handguard on a sandbag rest, and the rest of the rifle supported by me. The 50 gr VMAX did yield the best groups on average, with the Federal and BH 55 gr just about tying for second. I didn't do as well with the 69 gr stuff.

I have a lot to work on as far as my shooting technique is concerned, but the outing did leave me with the belief that I have plenty of gun to grow into. I am looking look forward to the next time I can shoot again.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by hikeeba; 08-31-10 at 11:24.
    One doesn't need to be sick to get better.

Feedback Score
    I don't see anything wrong with the parts you chose. You went alot higher end than I did I my first. I didn't take my time on mine and ended up rushing parts rather than saving for what I wanted. As long as everything fits right, shoots reliably, and gets the job done, then mission complete. Looks like you did a great job. I will take my time with my 6.8 build and go a little more higher end this time. Your setup looks great though. Good job!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    How do you like the Troy fixed front sight? I was thinking of building an upper W/ an 11" Troy extreme rail, Troy fixed front and LaRue rear. I shoot irons mostly and I really like the HK style front post.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the kind words, Chadillac.

deuce9166, I really do like the Troy HK style fixed front sight. I like the sort of circle-within-a-circle sight picture obtained when the the HK style front sight is combined with the round rear apertures.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hikeeba View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, Chadillac.

deuce9166, I really do like the Troy HK style fixed front sight. I like the sort of circle-within-a-circle sight picture obtained when the the HK style front sight is combined with the round rear apertures.
    The sight picture of the Troy flip up sights seem less cluttered to me, I'm sure its the same with the fixed.

Feedback Score

nice

that looks wicked, might be too much for my taste though. any build above 1000 is just not coming through my spending. may i suggest DSARMS next time? i figured their complete lower is $200 + $330 1/7 chrome line upper + $120 BCG you'd have a running basic AR at $650. or get the complete lower + gunbroker complete piston upper $600. may i say $800 for piston ar? cant beat that right? of course im going cheap. anyway, whats the yardage group your shooting there? 200?

Feedback Score
    Thanks darkcharisma. Yes, the group pictured was shot at 200 yards through the scope at 4x.

Thanks for your build tips. There's no doubt in my mind that I could have saved money on my build. My other two 5.56 ARs were budget rifle assemblies (put together with complete uppers). I have learned with those rifles, and felt ready to ratchet my hobby up a notch. I had a specific goals in mind that I wanted to achieve within a pre-determined budget. I could have easily spent less money on a different barrel geared towards accuracy, bolt carrier group, sights, or on just about any other part, but I chose not to.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Newby

Don't feel bad about a budget build. I too am ging to attempt the same. When I complete it, I hope that I didn't go over my intended budget of $2000. It's going to take some time so, I'm not in a rush. All though, i do want something the the folks can ewwwww and awwww about.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hikeeba View Post
    "I have a lot to work on as far as my shooting technique is concerned..."
    My only comment would be it appears you're breathing through your trigger pull as I can clearly see a distinct vertical line in your shot groups. And, with a 1:7 twist rate a heavier bullet than the 50grain you used might tighten the groups too.

Nice rifle and thanks for sharing...
    Last edited by BlueOvalFan; 10-11-10 at 01:28.
    "Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?" Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly