Thread: new aimpoint ml3 issues

Feedback Score

new aimpoint ml3 issues

The optic came in the mail today. 1st issue: installed battery as directions explain, dot does not appear. I removed to be sure I had it installed right, it was. Put battery cover back on turned on and low and behold I have a dot. turned optic off, installed on mount then on my gun, turned back on and no dot again??? turned off tapped on battery compartment turned on and dot was back?
    not sure why this is happening keeps repeating itself?
    Antonio

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I had the same sort of thing happen. In my case, I needed to really cinch down on the battery cap to ensure the nodes in the compartment made proper contact with the battery.

Crank down on that cap, tight, try again. I've had zero problems since I did.

Otherwise, if it's still intermittent after that, start making calls to your vendor.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    I was afraid to crank down using more than just finger pressure in fear of ruining the o-ring. so I removed the o-ring put battery cap back on and no more issues. I'm wondering now if a small piece of foam in the actual battery cap would create enough pressure to get the battery to make full contact with o-ring installed? I will let you know how it works out might help with your issue as well.
    Antonio

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i've had this happen with lights (i think everyone has). i may or may not polish the contact area of the spring, but usually just sticking the tip of your knife under and gently stretching it up a little will fix it.

Feedback Score
    Try removing the batt and screw down the cap to see if goes all the way down. Might be something on the threads?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In addition to the two gents above....

Quote Originally Posted by Aanayab1 View Post
    I was afraid to crank down using more than just finger pressure in fear of ruining the o-ring.
    Don't be. If you think about it, you'll only be taking the cap off once every 3-5 years, so you shouldn't have much opportunity to ruin it with excessive use. I understand where you're coming from; certain systems I teach the same way, to only torque until one feels the O-ring compress. Not the case, here.

That said, it's an easily replaced item, whether it's one of the red/unlubricated or black/silicone-impregnated rings. I constantly tell Marines that they can replace any O-ring on any optic they have by maintaining a good relationship with their mechs (because the Motor T Maintenance bubbas have every O-ring they could possibly want, in the size needed, in the hydraulic system repair kit).

Point being, in the unlikely event you scab/cut/tear your O-ring, you can take it with you to an Advance auto-parts store or a Lowe's (to match sizes) and get a new one. Just remember, if it's a red one, ensure it's lightly lubed with Chap Stik or Vaseline. Black, no need, it's good until it busts.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    While the foam under the cap trick worked I decided to try the other methods you all have mentioned. I pulled up the spring gently and cranked the cap down till the o-ring was squishing out, and it works without the foam now. Thank you all for your input.
    Antonio