Thread: Eotech 512 vs 517

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Eotech 512 vs 517

I have a flat top AR that I want to pick up an Eotech for. This is just going to be a relatively inexpensive, starter optic for me... So, I was going to pick up a new 512 for around $430 after tax.

Question is, I was scrolling through some local classifieds tonight and found a used 517 with a manufacture date of 9-08, that I can pick up for $400... should I consider this if it is in good shape. I had a hard time finding what advantages the 517 has over the 512, besides the control being on the side. I don't plan on magnification or night vision, by the way.

Is the 517 much of an improvement?

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    absolutely, The model 517 is the same exact thing as the 557 except for the NV and Bullet drop compensator, it has a standard A65 reticle, side button operation and a 7mm raised base, for 400 that a pretty good deal, I would try and work it down to 350 though, I have the 557 and its AWESOME, i bought it with the 3x magnifier(MPO) othrwise I would have bought the 517
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Plus, the 517's mounting crossbolt is stronger/better designed than the 512's.
    Tomac
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Feedback Score
    Does the raised base of the 517 make for a lower 1/3 co-witness?

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    yes it does
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    when I put this Eotech on, I will have flip down sights front and rear... it seems to me that a lower 1/3 is less desireable for being able to use back up sights with, as you wouldn't have much of a lower field of view with them. Am I right?