Thread: Opinions on: Winchester RA223R2 64 gr. Ranger .223 Power-Point

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Opinions on: Winchester RA223R2 64 gr. Ranger .223 Power-Point

RA223R2 64 gr. Ranger .223 Power-Point : http://www.winchester.com/Products/l...s/RA223R2.aspx

Doc, or anyone else who may have first hand knowledge/experience with this load. How does it perform?

It seems from my searches that it is available from a few LE distributors and reasonably priced when compared to the Fed bonded loads.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Stay safe,
    Nick
    Last edited by nickdrak; 09-01-10 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    This is a quote from Doc in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

"Most LE agencies around here use the Hornady 75 gr TAP OTM, Federal 55/62 gr bonded Tactical JSP, or Winchester 64 gr JSP (it is on the state contract and is VERY inexpensive)--all have worked very well in actual officer involved shootings. For urban LE use, I've carried the Hornady 75 gr OTM in 30 rd mags and a few 20 rd mags of Federal Tactical 62 gr JSP for barrier situations. "

I know I've seen elsewhere that the Win 64grn JSP he refers to is the Power Point. I don't have any experience with it though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah, I saw that. I was hoping to get some more specific info on this loads all-around performance in-terms of intermediate barrier performance, etc.

Feedback Score
    By intermediate, your talking windshields, right? Hard to beat the Federal Bonded stuff for auto glass. I'd be interested in how this round works through barriers too, but I'm willing to bet it would be like the Federal TRU 64 grain SP, excellent through everything but glass.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. Windshields, car doors, etc. I cant find the Federal bonded anywhere for less than about $30+ per box of 20. I can get this Winchester load for about half that.

Feedback Score
    Other options for a barrier round are:

1. Silver State Armory 70 grain TSX
    2. Remington 62 grain Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded
    3. Winchester 60 grain Partition (Nosler bullet)
    4. Black Hills also makes a Partition loading
    5. Speer 64 grain Gold Dot

I'm not sure what the cost of the others are, but probably in the same AO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SHV223R2 did not do well in windshield in some test info I saw, about 6".

10.5" to almost 12" in everything else as I remember.

Feedback Score
    Both the Win 64 gr JSP (RA223R2) and the Fed 64 gr JSP (223L) are acceptable for unobstructed shots, however both are NOT very good against windshields. Personally, if there is a high incidence of potential engagements around or involving vehicles I'd stick with the the 55 & 62 gr Federal bonded JSP Tactical loads (LE223T1 & LE223T3), along with the Nosler 60 gr Partition JSP, Remington 62 gr bonded JSP, Speer 55 & 64 gr Gold Dot JSP's (and identically constructed Federal 62 gr Fusion JSP), Swift 75 gr Scirrocco PT, or loads using the Barnes all copper TSX bullets (the 55 gr TSX is optimal for LE use).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks Doc! That pretty much eliminates it for me. I appreciate the feedback.