Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo ID help

Feedback Score
    Here's the picture:

Safetyhit - What did you like about the green-tipped stuff?
    Last edited by spelingmastir; 09-03-10 at 08:14.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spelingmastir View Post
    Safetyhit - What did you like about the green-tipped stuff?
    Boxed IMI M855 is/was one of the best of it's type available. I say "was" because I haven't seen a box for sale on Gunbroker in years.

While some disputed the claim, most that I talked to in depth about the rounds stated that they were first tier, non-reject ammo. Normally the boxed Winchester M855 available today is second tier ammo, having been rejected for what are normally very minor flaws or supposed storage issues. And the Radway stuff is just underpowered, so I have always avoided that.

To back the non-reject assertion up, none of the thousands of rounds that I owned or currently own of boxed IMI show the trademark wear and tear usually associated with second tier ammo. The green paint on the tips is pristine, not a scratch anywhere, no dings of any sort.

But the Winchester M855 is almost always the opposite. Often somewhat worn looking, especially the painted tips. Tarnished rounds and rounds with small dings are not uncommon. And I am talking boxed rounds, not bulk.

That said, however, the white box has always preformed well for me. Just that I have a little more faith in the IMI overall due to the factory new state of the rounds and the fact that not one ever had a FTF.

Lastly, I am not implying that M855 is my round of choice overall, as that title would go to my 5.56 TAP.
    Last edited by Safetyhit; 09-03-10 at 10:48.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Wow. Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I'll set this stuff aside as training ammo. I also got a bit of loose green-tipped M855. Aesthetically, it looks fine. We'll see how it performs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12