Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Colt 6450

Feedback Score

Help with Colt 6450

Hello,

I recently purchased a Colt 6450. After cleaning and greasing the gun I put 1500 rounds of Remington green box 115 grain FMJ as well as several remington hollowpoints through it over 2 days using C products magazines. I had multiple failures to feed and/or fire which I could clear by racking the bolt. I also had one C products magazine follower stick rendering the magazine inoperable and another magazine spontaneously fall from the gun after I thought that it was seated. I am trying to identify why I had so many problems. Please share you thoughts. Are these guns generally unreliable? Or is it the type of ammunition or magazines? Or are my expectations too high ( I shot next to several others who have quality 5.56 ar15 and none of them had these problems) ?

Thank you for the help

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steve100 View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased a Colt 6450. After cleaning and greasing the gun I put 1500 rounds of Remington green box 115 grain FMJ as well as several remington hollowpoints through it over 2 days using C products magazines. I had multiple failures to feed and/or fire which I could clear by racking the bolt. I also had one C products magazine follower stick rendering the magazine inoperable and another magazine spontaneously fall from the gun after I thought that it was seated. I am trying to identify why I had so many problems. Please share you thoughts. Are these guns generally unreliable? Or is it the type of ammunition or magazines? Or are my expectations too high ( I shot next to several others who have quality 5.56 ar15 and none of them had these problems) ?

Thank you for the help
    You've already identified your problem. Try to find yourself some of these . . .

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Original Colt mags were, and are again, made by Metalform.

Cprod had a short stint recently as the OEM supplier, but apparently that is over. There are Cprod mags with Colt marked baseplates out there, so be careful. An easy way to to tell is by comparing the shape of the baseplates on your current Cprod mags to the Metalforms in Molon's picture.

Actual Colt marked Metalform mags command a premium. If you don't care about the baseplate markings, CDNN currently has some great deals on Metalform mags. The blued 20 round mags will probably come with some blueing wear, but for $20 compared to the normal $50ish, most don't care.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar9mm20blmag.html

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar9mm32oemag.html

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Welcome to the forum. As others have said, ditch those C-Product mags and get some Metalform mags.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    ... The blued 20 round mags will probably come with some blueing wear, but for $20 compared to the normal $50ish, most don't care.
    ... and it comes from being stored, not used. Most of my mags have some storage wear on them, but this in no way affects function. I purchased some of CDNN's Metalform 9mm mags several months ago and they are really are good to go (and I compared them to a batch I ordered from Metalform directly and there is no difference that I can see).

BTW, I've bought several items from CDNN over the past few years and they are good to go too.
    Last edited by ThirdWatcher; 09-03-10 at 02:34.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for your help. I just purchased some 32 round Metalform magazines and will run the gun through its paces again with these magazines.

Which is the better lubricant for this gun, grease or oil? Would the answer to this question be different for shooting sessions of 500 rounds/outing?

Feedback Score
    I would think that you could get by with oil. The 9mm carbine runs a lot cooler than the 5.56 mm carbine.

Feedback Score
    That is a good point regarding the differences in heat build up between 5.56 and 9mm. My 9mm rifle barely heated up relative to my friends 5.56 however I did note that oil was seeping out of the opening adjacent to the receiver pins.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve100 View Post
    That is a good point regarding the differences in heat build up between 5.56 and 9mm. My 9mm rifle barely heated up relative to my friends 5.56 however I did note that oil was seeping out of the opening adjacent to the receiver pins.
    Perfectly normal and OK.

Oil is what I'd use.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Remington UMC is fairly anemic as well. My 6450 eats a diet of Winchester 9mm NATO, and I use Colt mags. I bought a few of the C-Product mags in 2008, and got rid of them.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast