Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find a chest rig...

Feedback Score

Trying to find a chest rig...

I need a rig to carry 3-4 AR magazines, a specific IFAK, and two smoke grenades. The rig needs to be wearable with a conventional duty belt and not interfere with the "stuff" that is already there so I'm thinking chest rig. It will be worn over soft body armor.

The IFAK is in this pouch:
    https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/stor...p?ProductID=59
    This is based on an existing TEMS protocol so another, different med kit is not an option.

The rig also needs to carry smoke grenades. While pocket smokes are an option, they are a secondary choice given environmental concerns. Ideally, there would be at least one full size smoke somewhere on the rig or two pocket smoks (two full size would be awesome).

I'm thinking about an SOE Stacked Micro Rig modified to take our IFAK. Are there any other options out there that will do what I need? (I'm willing to pay for custom work and the quantity will be between 12-24.)
    Last edited by John Hearne; 01-24-12 at 10:57.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any number of rigs would get the job done. Given that the department's covering it, I doubt cost is much of an issue? If it is, $180 is quite a bit for any chest rig, especially a "Micro" rig. My only concern is the simple elastic keepers for the smokes. Shit happens, you run, kneel, flop down on the ground and frankly Ive lost faith in a lot of open-top accessory pouches. If it were me, I'd get a chest rig with some incorporated mag pouches and some MOLLE and find a good, closed-top smoke pouch. Preferably hook and loop closure on it.

I suggest considering Mayflower's Unconventional Warfare rig and any of the cheaper MOLLE chest rigs. The UW Rig gives you a lot more carrying capacity for the same amount of money and lets be honest, while we try to keep things as light and slick as possible, I havent yet met someone who doesnt like the sound of an extra folder, Surefire, chemlights, Rite in the Rain, a carabiner, shears, an admin pouch, etc., on their load-bearing equipment. Cheaper rigs such as First Spear's Short Incursion Rig, just about any old Eagle rig and hell even an ATS would remain cheaper even after factoring in the cost of smoke pouches- and they'd be just as effective.

Edit: Also, the TMS Drop Leg is belt-borne. It could certainly be rigged up to a MOLLE platform.. But why?
    Last edited by Pax; 01-24-12 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I got one of those tactical Gladiator chest rigs and though it is really nice I don't like the elastic fasteners that hold the mags. They are so damn hard to pull that getting mags out is a big PITA and not something I want to be fumbling with while taking fire.

Something to think about.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Is there any reason that you do not want to add hard armor to the equation?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Is there any reason that you do not want to add hard armor to the equation?
    While I would love to get everyone hard plates, at this point in time, there isn't admin support for it (philosophical or fiscal). My goal is to have something that we can field in a short time to support downed officer rescue at the patrol level and help with active shooter and poaching details.

I hope that as we push the downed officer rescue program, the value of hard plates might become apparent but I'm not willing to wait for the support to be there first. Let's just call it "politics."
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    Edit: Also, the TMS Drop Leg is belt-borne. It could certainly be rigged up to a MOLLE platform.. But why?
    I'm looking for a single piece of kit that can be grabbed quickly, possibly even carried up front, and have what you're likely to need. I'd love to do something about the IFAK but my hands are tied.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    While I would love to get everyone hard plates, at this point in time, there isn't admin support for it (philosophical or fiscal). My goal is to have something that we can field in a short time to support downed officer rescue at the patrol level and help with active shooter and poaching details.

I hope that as we push the downed officer rescue program, the value of hard plates might become apparent but I'm not willing to wait for the support to be there first. Let's just call it "politics."
    Gotcha.
    Since i'm not a chest rig guy I'm bowing out to those that have a broader experience base with them than I.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    John, PM sent

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I keep an OSOE micro in my car.

Even though I've moved to the PIG PC with ESAPI front/rear, I still keep the Micro.

Always good to hand off to one or two of the folks I work with that still believe "it'll never happen to me."

Feedback Score
    Two followup questions:

1) Is this weight load reasonable for a chest rig?

2) What about purchasing a plate carrier without the plates so that adding plates is easier in the future?

I was thinking of something like this:

Adding a mag pouch like this:

Leaving room for the IFAK and a smoke pouch or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast