Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hats

What do you like? For what application? different hat for range, out & about, fishing, golfing, work, etc. or all the same hat? Specific issues you face? giant head? tiny cranium?

Let's hear what you use and what you like, what you've used that didn't work out for you, what your criteria is for selection, and lets see some pics of hats in action.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    ball cap. but it has to form my head. HSGI did a really good job with their hieght sizing in their flexfit prototypes. My auburn football ball cap is like that to. I like the top of my hat to touch the top of my head, not be 1-3" off like most hats.

I rock the ball cap at the range, in the yard working, or at night when i don't have sun glasses on. I've found very few hats that work with sunglasses. they always have a tendency to either push them odwn into your nose to where it hurts, or the ear pieces are so long that the hat pushes the glasses foward.

While the idea of built in hearing protection was a great thought at first, it's not really a necessity for me. plus i prefer my surefire plugs over anything else.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I like a thin ball cap just like the ones BCM gives away.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    I primarily use a hat to help me stay cool in the sun, and to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Boonie hats are prime for any outdoor activity. Hiking (the best for this), shooting, fishing, biking, etc. The brim all the way around keeps sun off the back of my neck, ears, and more of my face. I thank myself when I get home after a day of activity.

I have quite a few of these. Some are hiking brands (Marmot, OR), some are tactical ones (SKD). All of them are used.

Ball caps are a distant second for me, as they offer no protection for the sides of your face, or your ears, or the rear of your neck.

That being said, I do like a nice fitted ball cap for kicking around town. Ball caps are much more "greyman" and they blend in for day to day use since just about everybody wears them.

The Larue hats are my fave of this category. Good colors, simple, soft and comfortable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hats are to prevent sunburn, keep sweat out of my eyes, brass out of my eyepro.

No preference for adjustable or flex fit. Fitted is optimal if it's sized right, but they can wear loose. I like a comfortable fit at the top with a little extra material (not loose or baggy though). No button. It should sit just below the tips of my ears. Snug fit around my head, but not tight.

My hat size: 7 1/2 LO.

My favorite hat for fit right now is my nineteen47.com Minnesota Twins hat, size XL. I also like the way the BCM hat fits, the one with the flag on the front.

No trucker hats. Not ever.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-06-10 at 11:56.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I still have an old BHI subdued flag hat that goes with me everywhere - makes sense whenever I'm too ashamed of wearing an airsoft shop hat.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll wear a HSGI hat when I go shooting or on practice marches to provide shade for my face:

It's extremely comfortable, and I have a shortened name tape that I stick on the back.

A boonie hat sounds like a great idea for providing shade for the back of my neck, though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    brass out of my eyepro.
    Now there's one lesson you only need to learn once. It's worst when you can actually hear the sizzling noise when the brass gets caught right between the frame of the glasses and your face, and you think "that's gonna leave a mark!"
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-06-10 at 17:40.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At the range I'll sometimes wear a baseball hat...but I have never really felt the need for a special fancy baseball hat. I have a few promo hats that I have been given from companies like ICE Pile Driving, or Hilti, say. I sort of like wearing those just because I'm not in the tactical business, I'm in the construction business. And I don't like the idea of getting mistaken for a guy trying to look like a spec-ops type...I am just a construction worker and I do gun stuff for fun.

But if I'm doing something where I don't need to wear earmuffs, or a hardhat, then I am either hatless or wearing a cowboy hat from somewhere. It's like manual sunscreen, and I burn easy.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    I like a thin ball cap just like the ones BCM gives away.
    That is my favorite ball cap. I use it to keep rain and sun off of my "solar panel for a sex machine" bald head. My favortire winter cap is the Larue Tactical ball cap it is much thicker and keeps the chrome dome warm. When it is really cold I wear a night watchmans cap, while hunting a boonie(jungle) hat, and when at theme parks, shopping outside, at zoo with the fam etc. I wear a Tilley LTM5 Airflo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast