Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hats

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I think putting a blood-type patch on it will accomplish the same purpose.
    zing, as they say.

morale patches are funny and all, and the "poser," "chairborne," "regular guy," etc, patches are all good at indicating "hay, i'm just tact'd out because it's fun, and let this patch serve as the indicator that i'm not actually trying to look like i'm some HSLD operator," but they're starting to get a little over-played.

it's gotten to the point that when i see a "poser" patch, i often simply agree.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I wear a boonie hat while working out here in the desert. While it does an excellent job keeping my ears from turnings into pork rinds, the thin fabric resting close to my head does little to prevent the radiant heat from cooking the top of my skull!

I've found that here in the dry side of Hell, a cowboy hat actually works great. It keeps the sun off my ears and doesn't cook my noggin. They also do an excellent job at keeping the rain off.

The problem is that the sturdier, felt hats are really hot in the summer while the cooler, straw hats don't take hard use very well and stand out like a sore thumb amidst the dirt and the brush.

But if I'm going to be stuck out in the sun for hours at a time I usually wear my trusty Resistol.
    Good judgment comes from experience. And experience… well, that comes from poor judgment.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i've been known to wear a white straw hat myself, but i've also been known to completely destroy them past wearability in as little as 24 hours. the only hats worth wearing are in the $100-150 range, so i've taken a vacation from cowboy hats for a bit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macnamara View Post
    That's right. Get a wide screwdriver tip, or a blade and pry it off.

I did that to my North Face cap. The button was bloody uncomfortable, so I pried it off and to be cool guy, sewed loop velcro up there.
    I'm liking this idea more and more. I've got an old two-tone khaki/black ball cap that's worth an upgrade I think.

What Velcro is recommended? I want to add a good chunk (maybe about 3"x5") to the front for patches, and a smaller (1"x4"?) strip across the back for a name patch or whatever. Preferable color is beige or Coyote. Any suggestions?

Pic related, same hat.
    "Necrophilia?! She was alive when I started!"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    At night or when it rains I wear a Under Armor ball cap. My favorite one is a light tan with subdued UA logo on the right side and US Flag embroidered on the left. During the day I found it to be the most comfortable to wear nothing on my shaven head.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a ton of BCM hats from all the uppers i ordered. May consider a boonie hat sometime.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    For everyday wear I prefer a lighterwieght, lighter colored or a light colored patterned fitted cap. If I'm feeling a little more sophisticated I'm wearing a black straw fedora. I do need a good running cap though...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    There is only one hat (to rule them all).

C4

Last edited by C4IGrant; 09-15-10 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade3745 View Post
    ...What Velcro is recommended?
    Walmart sells black non adhesive velcro. Places like SupplyCaptain.com sell coyote, OD, etc coloured velcro.

Failing that, check out your local sewing supply store.

C4, nice cap.
    Last edited by macnamara; 09-15-10 at 10:07.
    "If you're gonna be a bear...Be a ****ing Grizzly!"

Feedback Score

Self built tight wad range hat. All my shooting buddies spent $20 + on "High Speed Logo" hats, some of questionable quality. Paying for the pleasure of advertising
    a gear company. They can give me a hat to wear for free but, I will not pay to wear a logo.

Hat: Adid*s (logo removed)
    Source: Sp*rts Auth*rity
    Cost: $$7.99
    Velcro: 2"
    Source: Eb*y (1yd, $3.99 that I had already bought for another project)
    Needle and thread: Sewing box
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 09-15-10 at 11:57.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast