Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hats

Feedback Score
    Ball cap.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i also like a hat that fits uniformly around my head. i've grown partial to adjustable hats with hook&loop adjustment straps.. a ball cap makes a fantastic wasp-defense weapon, and buckles tend to break when struck against hard objects. my larue hats were my favorite- fit perfect, looked great, and no BUTTON on top- but in battling wasps, i kept losing the buckles. i then sewed the strap in place, and basically made it a fitted hat, but then i remembered why i don't care for fitted hats: once you get a haircut, the hat doesn't fit good anymore. for guys like me that get busy and don't get a haircut but once every 4-6 weeks, that's no go.

so my ideal hat: thin khaki material, no button, velcro adjustment strap, low top for good snug fit.

i also prefer bills that are angled a little higher than some- allows you to wear the hat lower on the brow but still be able to see.

as far as wearing: pretty much always. i work outside about 65% of the time, closer to 90% in the summer, so its often essential. i generally find a hat i like, wear it till my wife cant handle the stench anymore, let her wash it in the dishwasher, then wear it till it rots off. then it's on to the next.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 09-06-10 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have well over 3 dozen hats in the house right now. Most are ball caps with a couple of boonies in the mix for long days outdoors. I like a hat without a button on top that has a low crown. I prefer fitted hats but I'll take a Flexfit without hesitation. I prefer a hat that has some shape to it vs the floppy bendy ones, but I don't like it when they're square. I can't stand a flat brimmed hat, they have to have a properly curved bill.

I like my BCM/DD/Vickers/M4C hats. They're all pretty lightweight and good for summer wear. Once they get sweat stained they don't get used for anything but work or shooting.

I like the MLB batting practice hats for other stuff. They're a little thicker than the lightweight hats but they're not too hot. I like the stretch fit for when I cycle from long hair to short. I have two I've been rotating in and out for the last few years and they still look great.

These are the ones I wear most often right now.

These are the backups. I cycle one in every now and then except for the ones I keep there out of sentimental value. The OSU hats will get rotated in more often now that it's football season.

Action shots? Action shots! Gotta thank Templar for taking most of these.

One handed malf clearance, got mud all over my rear sight

Shooting at a 10-8 class a few years ago

SCAR-L

Fighting AK
    Last edited by subzero; 09-06-10 at 17:51.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    brass out of my eyepro.
    Now there's one lesson you only need to learn once. It's worst when you can actually hear the sizzling noise when the brass gets caught right between the frame of the glasses and your face, and you think "that's gonna leave a mark!"
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-06-10 at 17:40.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At the range I'll sometimes wear a baseball hat...but I have never really felt the need for a special fancy baseball hat. I have a few promo hats that I have been given from companies like ICE Pile Driving, or Hilti, say. I sort of like wearing those just because I'm not in the tactical business, I'm in the construction business. And I don't like the idea of getting mistaken for a guy trying to look like a spec-ops type...I am just a construction worker and I do gun stuff for fun.

But if I'm doing something where I don't need to wear earmuffs, or a hardhat, then I am either hatless or wearing a cowboy hat from somewhere. It's like manual sunscreen, and I burn easy.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have yet to find a yellow visor that has enough velcro on it. Visors = not enough space for morale patches and blood-type patches. It's a no go, and lack of blood type patch is excessively dangerous.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It's a no go, and lack of blood type patch is excessively dangerous.
    I forget where, but I was told they type you anyway before they give you blood, so the type patches don't really do any good.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I forget where, but I was told they type you anyway before they give you blood, so the type patches don't really do any good.
    indeed- that's really only useful on a battlefield, which is why i've never bothered. CONUS paramedics dont just keep bags of blood on ice in their ambulances. if you need blood, assuming you're gonna make it, you're going to the hospital, and they're not going to rely on a hat patch that was probably left at the range anyway.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I've heard that too , but I wasn't sure the guy who said it was credible.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hats are definitely seasonal and mood bearing. My wife doesn't understand why I have so many. She always says If I could wear them all at once, I probably would (sounds like women and shoes).

My recent favorites are my 2009 Alabama National Championship hat, followed by the 2009 SEC Championship hat. They are definitely seeing more action now that college football is in full swing. As a New Orleans resident, it wouldn't be right to not have a Saints Superbowl hat. These keepsakes don't see the range or training grounds!

I have an assortment of activity hats - Titleist hats and visors for golf. Although, on really hot and sunny days, mother nature lets me know my age after I've worn the visor. My recent is a Patagonia hat that does a great job at moisture wicking. Wore it every day for a week this summer on CO hiking trip. My winter time fav's are auto hats - black Audi with grey logo, and red hat with BMW logo. I'm currently looking for good "run and gun" hats. Do I have to attend a Magpul training session in order to wear the hat?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast