Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hats

Feedback Score

I've got an old black patrol cap I picked up at a gun show (I think) that I wear regularly when I don't want/need to style my hair. When it gets colder out I've got a black flannel skull cap to keep my annoyingly large spock-ish ears warm...

The adorable growth directly to my right is my wife, she has one or two 5.11 ball caps (they came with a few of my orders) that she wears off and on.

Never really was comfortable with regular ball caps, they always seem to fit or hug my head in just the right way so it's uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me. Been eying the SKD Ball cap for a while, but am still on the fence as to whether or not get one. Maybe October I'll snag one...
    "Necrophilia?! She was alive when I started!"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've always worn a ball-cap. I still wear a ball cap every day, into the office and on my way home. I just feel nekkid without one.

I've got a metric crap-ton of hats lately. I deal with contractors at work, and they give out lots of hats... some good, some not-so good. The good ones get put into rotation, the bad ones get regifted back at the office.

Generally speaking, my opinion:
    Trucker hats suck. Mesh back doesn't block sun well and tends to pull my hair. When I'm in dire need of a haircut (which should be about ever 3rd week at most) it pokes through the holes and I look like a chia pet.

The corollary to "truck hats suck" -- high crowns suck more. Give me a low-profile front panel, not a square billboard with a point on top. I'm not trying to keep from smashing my Conan O'Brien bouffant underneath the hat. If hat hair becomes a physically possible, it means my hair is too long.

Light colors are better. Yes, the stain and show sweat faster, but dark hats -- especially black ones -- really cook your noggin and fade/discolor/stain faster than the light ones in practice. I preferred shades of tan/khaki/sage green/whatever well before the war. I just look better in hats that color (obviously a very subjective thing. Some might say I look better in hats that are pulled down over my face).

Adjustable is better than fitted, because even though my hair is very short, it is fast-growing, thick and wirey and can change the fit rapidly between barber visits (actually my wife in the garage).

In terms of adjustment, I'm pretty happy with the velcro method. The kind with a brass clamping buckle,usually on a leather strap, are easiest to adjust but eventually come apart without exception. The pull-thru tri-glide type buckle is good middle ground. The old plastic flaps with poke-through buttons? See "trucker hat" entry. I had one of the HSGI (I think) hats with an elastic band (not sure if they're still that way) and that thing felt like I was wearing an anaconda on my head all day. Maybe my head is fat.

I like the Larue hats with the missing button on top. Buttons aren't the end of the world, though. Yes, they do hurt when you get bonked right on them. I've never noticed any discomfort from them with my earpro though. Maybe that's just because the sweaty ears and feeling like my head is in a weak vice are both higher on the discomfort scale.

I don't care for excessive velcro. No matter how hard I try, I can't decide what to stick on the velcro, and when I do stick stuff on it, I look like a poseur-tool. Even more so than usual. A small strip on the back for my name might to wear to a class or match so I know when I'm being cussed at.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    For most things, a fitted Major League Baseball hat. I only used to wear a NY Mets hat, but since MLB brought the Expos to Washington, I wear either a dark blue or red Washington Nationals hat.

Since I took golf back up, and MLB hats are pretty hot, I wear either a Titleist or Taylor Made hat for my 4.5 hours stints on the links.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My current favorite is the EOTAC Range Cap. Lightweight, no button, and fits like it was molded for my head.
    “High speed isn't about gun, gear or tactics. High speed is executing the basics perfectly no matter what, cold, wet, day, night, tired. That’s high speed."
    -Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer visors unless its raining.(as long as they aren't yellow)... No button to worry about or if its too snug or not snug enough on your dome.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    the 215gear blended hat has become my fave for hot weather - the mesh panels in the back provide more ventilation than a solid fabric hat.
    I used to wear, almost exclusively, an SKDTac hat, but I received my 215Gear blended hat from Grey Group about a week ago and it is quickly becoming my favorite for the same reasons as MM stated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Boonie or cowboy hat for me, thanks. Baseball caps are for baseball players and frat boys. Yeah, I said it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHinch View Post
    My current favorite is the EOTAC Range Cap. Lightweight, no button, and fits like it was molded for my head.
    I have one of those, a Morrigan Consulting branded one I got in a Bill Jeans class. I really want to like the hat, and even like Bill's logo, but the front headband inside the bill keeps wandering around and it winds up looking like I'm wearing a 1980's style headband under the hat. I also haven't been able to get the bill to take a curve the way I like. I crush the shit out of it, it stays for a while as I'm wearing it, but next time I go to put the hat on it's flattened back out to the original shape again.

Lots of potential there though, and if these two issues were fixed, or even just the sweatband issue, I'd wear it a hell of a lot more often.

Feedback Score
    the hat that stays glued on my head unless I am sleeping, at the dinner table or in a building that doesn't allow hats would be my BCM hat with the subdued flag on the front. It's thin without being flimsy, lightweight, and the most comfy ball cap I have ever owned.
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero
    I've been wearing the Daniel Defense hat quite a bit. It's pretty neutral and has no button on top for my ear pro to mash into my skull.

Mike

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast