Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this retro

Feedback Score

Question Is this retro

I have a Colt AR 15 A2. It's a slab side, no bayonet lug, has a bird cage flash suppressor,round hand guards and foreward asst and the ser# starts with 00xxxx. I picked it up in 95 for $700, but my guess it was made earlier.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    At this point in time, and on this site, I think anything prior to the M4 or M16A4 is going to be considered "retro", including A2 or A1/A2 hybrids.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score

Thank Templar

Man! that makes me feel old. I remember going to the armory to sign for the new M16A2's and check out the new M249. I remember crying when I had to turn in my 1911 for some subcaliber piece of crap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barrelwrench View Post
    Man! that makes me feel old. I remember going to the armory to sign for the new M16A2's....

Same here. The year was 1987. I believe it was that same year we drove back from Bremerhaven in our brand new M1008 and M1009 CUCV's after turning in our M151's.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score

Unhappy M151

One of the sadist days of my life. Arrive at the range for a live fire 50 cal shoot, I look out at the hulk targets and what do I see....a whole shit load of M151's out in the impact area.....that was a sad day.

Feedback Score
    Those things were dangerous.

You know it's possible to bust a Cpt's nose against the windshield, by slamming on the brakes when his seat's not pinned down.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score

Thumbs up I'm a retired Gunny

I know it works good on 2nd LT too. LOL

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by barrelwrench View Post
    I have a Colt AR 15 A2. It's a slab side, no bayonet lug, has a bird cage flash suppressor,round hand guards and foreward asst and the ser# starts with 00xxxx. I picked it up in 95 for $700, but my guess it was made earlier.

It was made during or before 1989 if it has a slabside lower.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Pictures?

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info

scottryan, Thanks for the info.
    Longhunter, I would post pics but we are still on dial up in this neck of the woods and pictures take to long to down load. I was wondering why it had no bayonet lug for being an early production. It has the AR bolt that is cut all the way to the rear, I think the call it a half bolt and that funky chunk of metal installed behind the trigger in the lower.
    Only four number ser # not counting the first two zeros. Say's Target Model on the receiver. Has a standard military contour barrel, 20 inch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast