Thread: new ar pistol build from scratch.....questions?

Feedback Score

new ar pistol build from scratch.....questions?

hey guys, I'm interested in building a ar 223 pistol. what do I need to do? I have built my own rifle before so I know how to assemble, question is do I need to do any thing different to make a pistol? especially I heard you have to permantly attach buffer tube to reciever? (not sure on that) out side that I know no stocks and no handguard pistol grips. not making a aow, sbr, nfa gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1. Make sure your lower receiver has never been used in a rifle barreled action with a stock on it. Meaning a stripped lower does not have to be marked pistol, however should you decide you want to have it engraved, go ahead.

2. If you use a receiver extension/buffer tube other than a pistol tube make sure you cannot affix a stock to it. Fill in the slot/holes with epoxy or JB Weld. I read someone even plastic-dipped it like you would with tools. Great idea. Cover with a foam cover if you don't want it baking in the hot sun against your face. It does not need to be permanently attached.

3. I'd strongly consider having your lower built up before ever having a <16" Upper at your house. This removes the "constructive intent" of making an unregistered SBR because you didn't have a pistol lower ready to receive a pistol upper.

I used a commercial RE on my AR pistol and I filled the position holes with epoxy and covered over it with electrical tape. I then added a foam cover to it because it was black and was sure my face would be very uncomfortable during the summer months I was out to the range. Why did I use a commercial diameter RE? Because all the stocks at my house are milspec, and none of them will fit anyway.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score

reciever guarantee?

how do I know reciever has never had a stock on it? is buying a stripped lower, make it a virgin gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The likelihood of a receiver never having a stock attached to it is good if you bought it stripped. Calling the manufcturer and asking them to send you a letter dictating it had never had a stock on it while a barreled receiver was attached to it is something you can do. Assembly of the stripped lower into a lower with a stock on it does not disqualify the lower from being used until it actually had a receiver attached to it and had a rifled receiver also attached. The ATF did write a letter to someone and it said that even if the lower had a stock on it that the stock could be removed and a pistol tube installed as long as it had never had a barreled rifled action installed.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.