Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Chance of a basic 7.62X51 AR battle rifle?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Any Chance of a basic 7.62X51 AR battle rifle?

Do you guys think there is any chance that LMT or some other "qualified" company will tool up and release a .308 Basic model?

Something like the 6920 of .308 AR's?

Something without all of the more expensive options that will be more competitive in cost but that will still have good dependability and true SR25 mag capability?

I want to get a .308 AR but I don't think that I really need all of the accuracy enhancements for my usage and I would think that a non-monolithic, fixed FSB, non-interchangeable barrel, plastic handguarded model would fit my needs (blasting surplus and hunting)and be significantly cheaper.

I want to replace my old M1A with a dependable AR pattern rifle that is SR25 mag compatible but I really don't see a good option out there at this time.

What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The LMT MWS as it stands is a battle rifle, not a sniper rifle, and it's half the price of the KAC SR25EMC. It's chrome lined and 16". As far as a non-monolithic upper, standard handguard, and all that...I don't think they'd sell enough of those to be worth it, and they wouldn't be much cheaper than an MRP type gun. Maybe a couple or three hundred dollars at most.

The MWS is the biggest bang-for-the-buck in 7.62 available today.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    The LMT MWS as it stands is a battle rifle, not a sniper rifle, and it's half the price of the KAC SR25EMC. It's chrome lined and 16". As far as a non-monolithic upper, standard handguard, and all that...I don't think they'd sell enough of those to be worth it, and they wouldn't be much cheaper than an MRP type gun. Maybe a couple or three hundred dollars at most.

The MWS is the biggest bang-for-the-buck in 7.62 available today.
    thats why i bought mine!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure it's even feasible to make what you're asking for at LMT quality level for significantly less than their MWS.

If you want a basic, reliable .308 battle rifle, get a FAL. I am not a FAL expert but they are the standard in that category and there are some decent, reasonably priced options for a rail as well if you want an optic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i just ordered a JP .308 rifle..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're going to hang your hat on the KAC magazine than you're right, you've got LaRue, KAC, LMT, and LWRC to choose from. If you go the Armalite route, you have to use their mag, but you can get a quality "basic" rifle in the AR10 carbine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by htxred View Post
    i just ordered a JP .308 rifle..
    That's a game gun, not a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've noticed the last couple years that Fulton Armory is making some interesting battle rifles called the Titan series, that are chambered in 7.62. They have a clone of the Knight 110 that looks interesting, and seems to have some quality parts on it. And their prices are reasonable. But given how much lower they are than say, Larue and even LMT, I have to think they must be cutting somewhere to get the price down.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/TitanM1...itanM110Rifles

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I guess I will break down and buy one here before long. I would have liked to have kept it around $1,500 to $1,800 but it looks like the going rate for most all the newer stuff is in the +$2k range. I guess it isn't really fair to compare it with the AR-15 with 40 or 50 years worth of amoritization isn't it?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The Fulton rifles are DPMS receivers with their barrels, etc. I've seen one being ran in a 3-Gun match and the owner said he hadn't experienced any problems in right over 2K rounds. That was just a guy at a match a year ago though, so take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by IrishDevil; 06-25-10 at 19:52.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast