Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Spend $300+ for a SHTF knife, why?

Feedback Score
    I am also thinking about a field knife purchase.

I never go anywhere with out my two CRKT M16-14M folders. Like another poster from above, I use my knives for everything. I am a Volunteer Fire Fighter so that means cutting on car bodies, seat belts, breaking glass, opening metal cans, boxes, cutting hoses, "trying" to cut battery cable, cutting the cluster of wires that run into car doors... None of this is SOP mind you, but when the car is on it's top and your removing the car from around the patient you tend to use what you got on you at the time. Granted I'm not amputating anything like the Medic stated above, but I have killed coons, opossums, and even a really pissed off pit-bull with my M16-14M. My point is this; I spent something like $30 on each of those M16-14M's or maybe a tad less I don't remember. They work great. If one breaks then I'll get another.

You guys are talking about knives costing more than $300, with some more than $500. This sounds crazy to me. For a field knife I was looking at the Ontario Ranger Series RD6, RD7, RD9, or the RD Tanto. These can be purchased for $80 + shipping. Now that I have seen the ESEE-5 they seem to be along the same lines as the knives from OKC. What can a custom knife from Busse knives or from Chris Reeve or whom ever, for that matter, do... that make them worth the extra money that an RD6 or ESEE-5 can't do? Or does it boil down to something as simple as "style" or cool-ness factor? Maybe because it is prettier... I figure that has to be it... I can't think of a logical... mechanical... actual... reason other than something subjective like a cool-ness factor. One poster said the difference was as much as 10%... so what exactly does that 10% cover... what actual task falls into that 10%? I would like to know. Other wise I agree with Rob_S.

I'm not trying to flame anyone. I started reading this thread hoping for a few really good reviews or someone with personal experiences that would help guide me in my purchase. What I got was several pages of arguing, so I was a little dissapointed... I would like to thank the posters who suggested ESEE. I will be looking into their knives. Thank you.
    Spyder

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Spyder,

In all honesty one doesn't need to spend a lot of money to obtain a quality knife. We all have our reasons... For me it came down to a couple of things. First, if I was going to buy a knife I wanted a knife that would last a life time, and secondly I make sure the knives I buy have a good resale value just like the guns I buy.

If you look at Busse you will find they have a strange way of marketing, however, they are without a doubt the best knives made. Jerry Busse has a proprietarty steel (INFI), this stuff is the strongest steel made. It will not break under ANY conditions a normal grizzly bear could put it under. Swamp Rat Knives and Scrapyard Knives are both Busse family knives. Just for a kick sometime take a look the website knifetests.com. This website takes knives from every maker and puts them to tests that no one will ever do.

Not that you'll ever do any of this to a knife but it really takes all knives out for a test run.

The second point being resale value -- Again Busse in his marketing but you will find that their resale value is excellent as well. These knives will keep an edge, and will last a lifetime.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergrade View Post
    Spyder,

In all honesty one doesn't need to spend a lot of money to obtain a quality knife. We all have our reasons... For me it came down to a couple of things. First, if I was going to buy a knife I wanted a knife that would last a life time, and secondly I make sure the knives I buy have a good resale value just like the guns I buy.

If you look at Busse you will find they have a strange way of marketing, however, they are without a doubt the best knives made. Jerry Busse has a proprietarty steel (INFI), this stuff is the strongest steel made. It will not break under ANY conditions a normal grizzly bear could put it under. Swamp Rat Knives and Scrapyard Knives are both Busse family knives. Just for a kick sometime take a look the website knifetests.com. This website takes knives from every maker and puts them to tests that no one will ever do.

Not that you'll ever do any of this to a knife but it really takes all knives out for a test run.

The second point being resale value -- Again Busse in his marketing but you will find that their resale value is excellent as well. These knives will keep an edge, and will last a lifetime.
    Thanks for the link, this just proves my point that a ESEE is plenty good for what I will ever use it for. http://knifetests.com/ratrc4dtest.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I was a young Paratrooper, like a lot of 'Joes' I had to have some high-speed knife. Over the course of a few years had lost 2 $100+ knives. One on a jump and the other in the desert while making a night movement.

I finally settled for a Cold Steel SRK (about $50 at the time) which I had for a few years. Ultimately, my friends Pit Bull pup chewed the rubber handle off when I left my LBE on the floor.

Now most of my knives come from my rich uncle 'Sam'. I have a few that are over $300. My favorite EDC is a Leatherman Charge Ti. For a folder, my favorite is a very light plastic scaled Benchmade. For a fixed blade, I wear a 4" Benchmade on my gun belt and a Camillius Cuda on my plate carrier. For survival or a 'rumble in the jungle' I would take my Ontario RAT 7.

When I advise troops on buying a knife I would not go much over $50. In most cases, you are not going to much more value from a $300 knife.

As someone else mentioned, with a knife you quickly reach a point of diminishing returns.

Feedback Score
    Agreed... For a SHTF knife probably unnecessary. If you do have a quality blade and you're in a survival situation it may show it's value over time though... As long is I don't lose it. Busse knives hold an edge for a long time and never rust.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112