Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spend $300+ for a SHTF knife, why?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    For a fair price on a custom blade I can highly recommend Eric Kramer, also a member of this board, as someone who really gets into bladecraft at a better price than many high-end production models.

WARNING: Shameless plug alert -

Here's a blade we designed together based on my specifications. I've abused the hell out of this blade, prying, chopping etc.

The Gutshot

Review done by someone I don't know.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 09-09-10 at 19:47.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Mr Kramer makes nice stuff. So does Brian Goode, another forum member.

I can echo the remarks of those persons recommending the Scrapyard line. I have two of their blades, and are quite happy with the quality/price ratio. My fave is a Street Scrapper 4 LE with INFI steel.

The Becker BK-1 is a nice blade, but I would definitely recommend replacing the handles and sheath. By the time you do that, you are spending the same as the Scrapyard knife.

The ESEE or RAT line is really good for the money as well. I have 3 or 4 of them? I have to go look in the safe. My faves are the RAT-3 in D-2. Quite a handy blade.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My faves are the RAT-3 in D-2. Quite a handy blade.
    RAT-3 in D2 huh; I bet that is nice. Mine; and I thought all of them; is 1095?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help so far. This has been an eye-opening thread for me. I had no idea there was so much nice steel out there.

Seems like what I thought that I wanted, I'm now not so sure. Oh well, tax refund won't be here for a few months anyway. Plenty of time to find something good.

F.Y.I.. Here is what I am replacing. I have had thing since I was a kid. It is a Rigid Sidewinder. 35+ years old, and you can still shave with it. The blade is about 4 1/4". It was a gift from Dad, so as the time goes on, it is getting too sentimental to take into the woods. It would crush me if I lost it... I am not sure of the steel, but it has worked great and looks like a work of art. It feels great in the hand.

[/IMG]
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Haven't read a single reply, and I am responding to the title only:

You spend X dollars on anything because you want to and it represents a value to you at that price. Period. Everything else is a rationalization or excuse for doing it. If Y item does not represent a value to you personally at X dollars, then do not buy it. Period.

For a fixed blade knife, I went with Scrapyard Knives, they use Busse leftovers. At their sub-$200 price tag, they looked like a deal to me for the quality of steel you received.

To be honest, in Virginia, carrying around a fixed blade as a white collar worker will cause me more hassle than it's worth - laws of the Commonwealth makes fixed blades a gray area unless it's "for work" etc. So my fixed blades stay in my gear bag, and one smaller one my 1st line "tactical" belt.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    does it have to be a straight blade? if not have you ever thought of using a kuhkri? i followed this:
    http://m4040.com/Survival/Ghurka/Khu...dification.htm
    and it took about 6 hours total to modify the basic knife that i bought into a good field knife..... granted since i joined the military i havn't been able to go camping or anything like that in about 4 years but i chopped through a 2x4 pretty quick and batoned another one down the middle quick too. he has a link on his site where he gets his from, and i think they are all 5160 steel, the same thing in a leaf spring for a car. not the hardest thing to sharpen in the world but it will hold a good edge

"The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I will never go back to run of the mill standard production knives, they just don’t hold a candle to top tier production and custom knives. Currently I own a Benchmade 5000 Presidio Auto MSR $235, an Emerson Mini CQC-7 MSR $173 and a Dawson 98 which these now goes for $354 (I got for $60 back in the day). My next knife will most likely be a Horton Camp Blood (I don’t even want to what it will cost me)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Question

You guy's have really peaked my interst in the Scrap Yards quality to cost ratio. How difficult is it to obtain particular models? From what I can tell one must check the site frequently to see what is available.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    From what I can tell one must check the site frequently to see what is available.
    I'm pretty sure that is correct. That or you can go into the secondary market. There is a sub-forum in the BladeForum marketplace specifically for Busse/Scrapyard/Swamprat bades.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had MANY high end blades in my time. All have put in work and proved themselves. I believe you get what you pay for and I still rely heavily on my $100 blades as well as my higher end steel.

With so many production's and custom makers out there, just find what suites your budget and needs, read reviews and jump on in!

I think demand and a following is what puts prices up $300+, the cost of certain steel, handle material etc....so many reasons why a blade can cost so much.

If you are not comfortable in purchasing a $300 blade....there are several in the $75-$100 realm that have proved themselves time and time again! Justin G. @ Ranger Knives comes to mind. He has since sold his company to Ontario, but still makes a nice affordable custom

Chris

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast