Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why a pistol? Aren't they hard to control?

Feedback Score

Why a pistol? Aren't they hard to control?

And harder to hit the target?

I love the look of some of the AR pistols Iv'e seen and I'd like to have one myself but aren't they hard to control compared to a Carbine? I haven't shot an AR pistol but it would seem they can't be very accurate or controllable since there's no stock to stabilize the gun with.

I have a stripped frame and it's calling out to me to be made a pistol, I just can't justify it in my head.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you're in an SBR no-go state, and are looking for something that utilizes an AR system with a short enough barrel to operate in confined spaces, the tradeoffs make sense for lots of people, and as range toys there's absolutely a market for small, light AR's.

It definitely doesn't make sense for everybody, and may not for you, but there are plenty of cases where an AR Pistol would be on the short list of guns to look into.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a plr16 because it's fun to shoot, and an ar57 pistol because it's fun to shoot. Can't have an sbr since I live in Illinois.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After building my first AR pistol in 762x39 I found it to be immensely easier to control than I thought it would be. Mine is also built with a heavy-barrel profile so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Your choice of muzzle device will also affect the controllability of the weapon. I used a 9mm brownells flash hider/compensator and it makes my AR pistol run like a dream under rapid fire.

I'd recommend building an AR pistol. They are FUN, semi-practical, and you can find out how well it functions before you start the SBRing process through the ATF. The reason I built mine as a pistol is so I could get the upper functioning like I expected it to before I paid an additional $200 to get a SBR stamp.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    I've fired an AR pistol before. It wasn't difficult to control. As for hitting the target, with the shorter sight radius and lack of a stock to place your cheek on, maybe. I personally had no trouble but YMMV.

Feedback Score
    I have one I put a single point sling on mine. It made it sooo nice to shoot. You put it around your neck and shoulder. You punch out against the sling. Its almost like tucking a stock into your shoulder. If you use a bungie type single point. It make for some great fun bump firing.

Feedback Score
    I built one because in TN it is against the law to have a loded rifle in your vehicle, even if you have a carry permit. They feel it helps stop poaching. With the AR15 pistol , I can carry it loaded in my truck all the time, as I have a carry permit. I also travel alot for my job. And just feel better having it along. I carry it in a Wilson tennis racket bag. Fits perfect.
    1942 M3 Autocar Halftrack
    M3A1 Diamond T Halftrack
    57mm Anti-Tank Gun

http://junk-halftracks.com/

Have owned
    M5A1 Stuart

Have Restored
    M20

President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors

MVPA Member # 17191

Feedback Score
    I think you guys have me sold on a pistol now

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    I built one because in TN it is against the law to have a loded rifle in your vehicle, even if you have a carry permit. They feel it helps stop poaching. With the AR15 pistol , I can carry it loaded in my truck all the time, as I have a carry permit. I also travel alot for my job. And just feel better having it along. I carry it in a Wilson tennis racket bag. Fits perfect.
    Same here. I can cross the stae border to KY with it.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post

You can carry a rifle with a full mag in the gun so long as there isn't a chambered round in TN.exceptions are made for self defense situations.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast