Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MONOLITHIC UPPER

Feedback Score

MONOLITHIC UPPER

I want a monolithic upper rifle. I like the look and being able to mount an optic anywhere. Which one do you have and why?
    Spider

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    I have a Vltor vis 2a (10 inch) on a 16 inch rifle, as well as the Mega mono rail mid length on a 12.5 inch rifle.

The vis is a quad rail, the mega mono has a full length top rail and you can add various sized rails where you want them.

Both are very nice. If I could only pick one it would be the Mega mono.

I have small/medium sized hands the Mega mono due to the fact it is "tubular" fits my hands better and feels better than having quad rails.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider 6888 View Post
    I want a monolithic upper rifle. I like the look and being able to mount an optic anywhere. Which one do you have and why?
    Spider
    Don't cheat yourself.

LMT MRP is the gold standard.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Here ya go young fella,,I just asked the same question awhile back !!!! I will be getting/building one in the next few months !!! Lots of good info,,read it all & you Will Believe !!!!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59964
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 09-14-10 at 00:24.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't limit yourself to proprietary barrels.

Vltor VIS is the gold standard.

Feedback Score
    While opinions will vary, which ever one you chose I am sure you will be happy with and no one will give you a hard time for it.

Vltor and Mega are my two favorites. I own the Mega Mono. I went with that one over the vis because there are fewer parts. The vis has actually two parts. The bottom drops from the top. This allows you to attach a grenade launcher to it. Visit their site for a visual demonstration. While this is cool, I will unfortunately never own a true 40mm launcher, so I could care less about that feature. The Mega is a true monolithic upper, just one piece. There are some tech differences too, but I don't think it will matter much. The machining on the Mega is perfect the thing is like art work! Also, the Mega has a deep black finish the Vltor has kind of a gray tint to it. Ive the vltor in person, it just didn't impress me as much. Just my opinion of course.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    The MRP is fine if you are ok with paying the price for MRP barrels, and whatever few aftermarket barrels there are out there (also pricey). The MRP also allows you to change barrels pretty quickly but then you need to know the zero for each barrel if you want to keep the same optic or have a different optic for each barrel.

The other mono uppers allow standard AR barrels but are not quick change. You have a lot more options.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Colt 6940
    LMT MWS 308

why not!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The MRP is fine if you are ok with paying the price for MRP barrels, and whatever few aftermarket barrels there are out there (also pricey). The MRP also allows you to change barrels pretty quickly but then you need to know the zero for each barrel if you want to keep the same optic or have a different optic for each barrel.

The other mono uppers allow standard AR barrels but are not quick change. You have a lot more options.
    FYI.....MRPs will now except ANY barrel that any other AR15 would accept. That said...every MRP barrel in the lineup has fantastic accuracy and besides a krieger, Rock SS MRP barrels are the finest and most accurate barrel Ive seen or used and charted on paper in terms of an 5.56 AR, I am not looking to use any other barrel besides the MRP proprietary ones.... There is a reason they cost so much. They have no competitors and MRPs are a complete system and not a neat little upper thingy.

Vis is POLYLITHIC.....nuff said, not knocking but clearly its not a monolithic rail.

I will choose not to commit on the mega stuff but they need to at least put some t marks on the rails.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-11-10 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Don't limit yourself to proprietary barrels.

Vltor VIS is the gold standard.
    Don't worry he won't...he will have the best of both worlds with any AR barrel he wants as well as the full MRP lineup...not to mention he will have a true monolithic weapon system rather than a polylithic upper...and can hit barrel changes in under two minutes....how fast does the throw away barrel remover thingy on the vis take?
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 09-11-10 at 05:49.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast