Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troy VTAC vs. DD Lite 12

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Troy VTAC vs. DD Lite 12

For a 14.5" LW Middie which would you choose and why? I think I saw where the weight difference is like 2 oz. Just looking for some input either way or suggestions for other choices. Thanks.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I really love how slim the VTAC handguard is vs a standard railed handguard. Plus, installing the VTAC is dead simple. And you can't beat the price for a freefloat unit.

Short of using your rifle as a sledgehammer, you're not going to dislodge the VTAC...

Here's mine, but with a carbine gas 14.5" BCM upper. I went with carbine gas in case I ever wanted to put a KAC URXII on there.

I also only have one small rail fragment on the bottom to mount my VFG. Everything else - including my forward sling mount (LPSM) - rides on the top rail. The flashlight is fully ambi due to the slimness of the handguards -- it's very easy to reach across the top rail to activate the switch.

ETA: Weight as pictured is 7lb 15oz empty (no mag inserted).

Last edited by caporider; 09-14-10 at 15:16.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It may be dependant on how much stuff you plan on putting on your gun. I think the DD has more "real estate" than the VTAC. The VTAC is lighter.

I go with VTAC.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I currently have the TRX Extreme on my LW build.

That said, if I put together another LW build, I think I'll use a DD Lite rail. I just prefer having rail covers as an added layer of insulation against heat.

This decision will be very personal and remember that the bare-bone weights are only applicable if that's how you'll really run the gun. Rail covers on the DD will add weight, but so will the rail sections if you need to add them to the TRX. Depending on how you configure your gun, either one could end up heavier in the end.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    well, the Vtac doesn't come in 12" - only 11" and 13", if that makes a difference to you.

also, the difference in weight is only if you add all the rail pieces. otherwise the difference of a couple oz. goes to the Vtac. you'll have to decide how much stuff you like to add to your rail.

what makes the Vtac attractive to me is the light weight, the slimness, and the cost. especially the cost, right now...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

DD Omega X 12 FSP & Troy Battlerails

I can't speak from experience with the Troy VTAC as I have yet to run one of those ( although I considered for my SPR/DMR design.) However I already have 2 of the DD Omega - X 12's on rifles and LOVE then both. DD rails run a bit slimmer than my Troy 13.8 inch Battle Rails and are also a little lighter. I don't think you can really go wrong with either, just a matter of whether you prefer the railed appearance or the slim appearance of the VTAC.

I liked the look of the BattleRail in DE for my rifle with mid-length gas(but that is entirely personnel preference and specific need,) as this was not something I planned to hike for 15 miles with on patrol or sling on my back for much time so weight wasn't a big factor to me. It was built to reach further than my 14's/16's and uses ammo for that purpose and has a bi-pod propping-up it's added optics & weight most of the time
    Last edited by Freelance; 09-24-10 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    I just bought a 16" LW setup with the Troy VTAC (the one with the long slits). I almost got the DD, but I figured I'm not mounting a lot of stuff. As such, I'll enjoy the lower weight, and easier gripping the smaller diameter of the Troy.

However: I bought this gun as a range toy. If this were a SHTF gun, I'd more likely go with the DD, as I believe it would withstand more abuse.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I recently got a BCM 14.5" mid length and chose to go with a Daniel Defense Lite rail 12.0 and my rationale is that the DD rail is extremely strong very lite, as you say within 2ozs of a Troy rail, and gives the most options for mounting anything.

I have a bias I like DD rails and the Lite rail in particular. I have 5 rifles with DD lite rails now.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I like the DD because it looks more sturdy, but I have no data to support that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stick with the DD rails. I have a Troy TRX and it's gone back to Troy twice for the helicoils pulling out and the last time, the sent me a brand new TRX rail. They're lightweight, ergonomic for those of us that don't like to use rails and they're inexpensive. However, even per their installation instructions, the helicoils pull out easily. If you're someone who likes to add or move rails around, stay clear of the TRX rails. They're more of an install once and leave it rail.
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

-Archilochus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast