Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troy VTAC vs. DD Lite 12

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Stick with the DD rails. I have a Troy TRX and it's gone back to Troy twice for the helicoils pulling out and the last time, the sent me a brand new TRX rail. They're lightweight, ergonomic for those of us that don't like to use rails and they're inexpensive. However, even per their installation instructions, the helicoils pull out easily. If you're someone who likes to add or move rails around, stay clear of the TRX rails. They're more of an install once and leave it rail.
    I'm beginning my trolling for a new upper, of course I have lots of options. I was thinking the same thing about the TRX. Sure I can put a piece of rail where I want it BUT it looks like I'd have to remove the entire rail to move the little pieces of rail around. Is that the case?

One other question if I may. The helicoils, are they used to mount the unit to the gun or rails to the tube? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    when your barrel is smokin', you're gonna wish you had rail panels- gloves or not.

if the gun in question will, for certain, never be shot that hot, then by all means. great for competition and such. i have a rifle with a slick vtac guard on it- that gun does pretty much nothing but hunting. but everything else has panels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    when your barrel is smokin', you're gonna wish you had rail panels- gloves or not.

if the gun in question will, for certain, never be shot that hot, then by all means. great for competition and such. i have a rifle with a slick vtac guard on it- that gun does pretty much nothing but hunting. but everything else has panels.
    Thanks, that makes sense. That's good tangible feedback.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It all depends what you prefer to put on the gun. If you like to use a pistol light at 1200 and don't want any kind of vertical grip, the TRX will save you 2-3 ounces over the DD lite at a given length. There are, however several considerations.

The circumference of the TRX is very small. If you have huge hands like mine, the larger circumferance of the DD +/- rail guards might be more comfortable for you.

If you are planning to do high intensity shooting, the larger circumference of the DD plus rail guards might help with the heat.

Some have said that the TRX feels like a 'cheese grater' on their hands, others don't mind the texture.

For each accessory not mounted along the top rail, add 0.9 to 1.6 ounces to the TRX for additional rail plates. If you prefer to use a VFG and a 3:00 light (as I do) the final weights are very close.

Using a 12:00 light *might* force your hand further back on the rail depending upon your preferred grip and light activation technique. This would require a longer rail and thus more weight to achieve the same hand position.

Weight is important, but not everything. The question we all need to ask ourselves is whether the added function "outweighs" the added weight. Also remember that weight spread across the rail is not going to affect handling as much as weight concentrated near the end of the barrel due to leverage.

If you are not sure what kind of light, foregrip, sling mount, etc. you prefer and in what position, get the DD. It makes it much easier to change your settings around to find what works for you.

FWIW, I have experimented by adding different amounts of 'weight' to the end of my gun. I do not notice a difference of ~2 ounces at all, and barely notice a difference of 5~6 ounces. After that, it starts to become increasingly apparent when transitioning between targets. YMMV.

Ultimately, this is one of those 'personal' issues for which there really is no objective answer.

Feedback Score
    I guess the #1 factor (for me anyway) is do both mount firmly and are good sturdy units that can take a little abuse.

Sounds like they both meet those basics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Im still curious to see how much one of these VTAC + LW barrel uppers weighs
    Last edited by ForTehNguyen; 10-09-10 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I can tell you. I wil weigh my DD upper with 11" VTAC and DD LW Middy barrel if you would like.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12