Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reliable 1911 in 9mm?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    I'd suggest Nighthawk Custom-or a post 1994 cast-frame Browning/FN Hi-Power.

Better yet, get a .40 Hi-Power, and a 9mm conversion barrel. That just might give you the best of several worlds. Cylinder & Slide excels in this conversion, particularly with Bar-Sto barrels I believe.

For 9mm 1911s, the magazines are an absolutely crucial and critical component; I'd recommend Check-Mate Industries and/or Tripps.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-15-10 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I posted about a 9mm 1911 a few weeks back which drove me to do some research on the subject. The issues with a 9mm aren't all that different than .45ACP guns. The main challenges appear to be extractor (improper tension), feedway (steeply angled feed ramps), and magazine related. A production grade gun is probably more likely to have issues than a semi-custom or competently built custom gun, that's just the nature of the beast when it comes to most things mechanical. If it were my money I'd pick up a SA 9mm and a few different brands of quality magazines to test and drop it off with someone that knows what the hell they're doing look it over and tweak what needs tweaking if anything at all then stay on top of the maintenance stuff.

Feedback Score
    I have owned two, still have one. Both Springfield Armory. One a stainless loaded of recent manufacture was reliable right out of the box with the Springfield 9 round mag. I sold it to a small handed buddy who really liked it. The second, an older blued model in the Mil Spec configuration was not reliable when I first got it [used]. It is now after I convinced my tightwad, cheap but talented gunsmith that it really did need a new extractor. Both where/have been reliable with the Springfield 9 round mag, never tried any others. I think these pistols can be very sensitive about mags [as can many pistols]. I view them as range toys.

Feedback Score
    From what I've observed at quite a few IDPA matches (and as someone who's been interested and real close to getting a 9mm 1911 myself...) , seems the STI Trojan 9mm's are among the most reliable, that said, I know many of the guns I've seen run so well have had their fair share of attention, meaning replaced or updated ejectors (the best 9mm 10rd mags like Tripp's and Wilson ETM's extend quite high into the guns when seated, little to no clearance results in f'ed ejectors so replacement is common), and quite a few aftermarket Aftec extractors, not to mention plenty of practice sessions to iron out the kinks...
    I've also seen a couple Springfield's and S&W's run real good too so it's not as if 9mm 1911's are totally cursed as a platform.
    I have seen many of them have problems so let's just say a stock one running 100% seems to be pretty few and far between.

FWIW, there are a bunch of guys over on the benos forum who've had great luck with the STI Spartans in 9mm and their lower price-point (like $625ish) would make it easier to absorb if one had to install an Aftec or something, their barrels aren't ramped, but seems as more and more guys move to shooting them (9mm 1911's) that the accepted thinking that a ramped barrel being a necessity in 9mm is changing as guys have found that the same high-seating of the Tripp's and Wilson's that can eat ejectors can also seem to put fresh rounds in an almost direct, low-angle/straight-feed path to the chambers. MMV.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Not sure if he still has it, but MAP was sporting a Wilson Combat 9mm in February. Might email or PM him and see what he thinks. It ran great on the steel while we were screwing around between evolutions.

That was LAVs Wilson. It shot very well. I put about 75 rounds of Federal 124 grain ball through it. Both Larry and Ken described 9mm 1911s as fun range toys but not reliable enough to bet your life on. A custom 9mm 1911 is in my future.

Mike

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    How good are the SA Loaded models?
    I've got two which we use for our school....
    both adj. sight models...

we ditched the flgr before we ever fired them....
    one gun has a short trigger...
    that is all

one of them failed to extract once with bvac reloads.... one time...

accurate... very gentle recoil... the mags are great .. we used the springer loaded accessories deal to buy like 10 extras... very very happy with the purchase...
    teaching a handgun class this saturday... will likely use it for demo...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a nice Springfield Custom Shop 9mm. Granted, it's not cheap - nut neither are the Wilson and Nighthawks being mentioned here:

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I have a completely reliable 5" 9mm/38Super switch barrel Wilson CQB. They ain't cheep but one gets what one pay's for. I did allot of research before the purchase and to a man every Wilson 9MM owner was a happy camper with very positive experiences.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm kinda wanting that S&W Pro Series 5" 9mm. I saw one months ago in person, but haven't come across one since (in person)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast