View Poll Results: Should I get a SCAR

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • SCAR-L Get it and don't look back.

41 57.75%
  • Colt 6920 Parts will always be around. Spend $ on mags and ammo.

26 36.62%
  • Other (Must specify)

4 5.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a SCAR?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Should I get a SCAR?

I'm looking at this thing very seriously. The only things I don't like are that there aren't spare parts available, the sling attachments, and the no drop free Pmag. The Colt 6920 is tried and true, has plenty of spares, and drops the Pmags free. I'm thinking that now is a good time to get the SCAR as prices have come down considerably. Can get for about $2200. What say you?
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You can get an amazing AR with optics and mags for $2200! The SCAR is really cool, but unless you just have to have a folding stock and a piston operating system all wrapped around a bulky chassis, I'd stick with the AR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stay with the AR. I really like the SCAR but the lack of spare parts is a deal breaker for me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd stick with a quality AR for now. In my humble opinion, next gen. rifles are in a state of shift right now, and I'd wait and see which rifle comes in to wide-spread use.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    if you already have an AR, i'd get the SCAR. if you have none, i'd go with the AR.
    as far as spare parts go, if something breaks, FN will fix it. i know it's nice to have spare parts available on hand if something breaks, but not much we can do about that at the moment. there are spare parts available - just not all of them.
    sling mounts - i got a VTAC mount under the handguard which works well.
    i spent a few minutes with some sandpaper on the lower and it'll drop all pmags free.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post
    I'd stick with a quality AR for now. In my humble opinion, next gen. rifles are in a state of shift right now, and I'd wait and see which rifle comes in to wide-spread use.
    Winner! Depending on what happens with the carbine competition, who knows if the SCAR will be around in 10 years. Same for the ACR. If these things don't sell well and other companies don't throw much support in the way of accessories and replacement parts, these weapons will always be prohibitively expensive and difficult to maintain.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post
    What he said.

I went through the exact same thought process myself. Including pestering some extremely friendly SME's on both this board and LF.

I just kept the Colts.

Another thing to keep in mind is you can get .22 trainers and other caliber rifles and even crossbows that keep the same manual of arms as the AR that aren't available for the SCAR right now.

Undoubtedly the SCAR is a better rifle overall than the AR for military operations. For civilian users in the US, not as good of an idea.

One caveat, is if you are going to be doing alot of supressed shooting. Based on by brother's bitching about his new supressor. His SCAR was much more pleasant to shoot than his AR-15 and his DPMS LR-308. Not so much stuff going up his nose every shot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    You can get an amazing AR with optics and mags for $2200! The SCAR is really cool, but unless you just have to have a folding stock and a piston operating system all wrapped around a bulky chassis, I'd stick with the AR.
    Mine doesnt feel any bulkier than any of my ARs, pictures dont do it justice. The only fault I find with the SCAR platform is the trigger options, of which there are none. I wouldnt hesitate to grab my SCAR over any of my ARs, even the SR15.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I've been issued a SCAR and carried it on deployment. It has its advantages and disadvantages but I wouldn't buy one even if the price was on par with a good quality AR. Get a good AR, good optics, and a bunch of ammo.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 09-29-10 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I've been issued a SCAR and carried it on deployment. It has its advantages and disadvantages but I wouldn't buy one even if the price was on par with a good quality AR. Get a good AR, good optics, and a bunch of ammo.
    You have my attention. Please elaborate.
    Have Fun, Be Safe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast