Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barrel harmonics

Feedback Score
    I will concede that the 12:00 position would be ideal. BUT, that would assume that the barrel is oscillating in a perfectly linear mode, which it does not. I believe that what is being accomplished by those who tune their barrel length, mass and custom load is simply consistency and repeatability. The bullet is leaving the barrel at nearly the same point in the vibrational period each time. Not necessarily the 12:00 position. Repeatability is the key.

As far as a combat rifle is concerned I agree with you. However, Some people, myself included, are limited by budget and cannot afford a fluted bull barrel made of unobtainium. So we get a gov profile barrel. We would still like to shoot accurately. I'll admit dime size groups at 150 yards may not be possible with a gov profile barrel but I, for one, would like to try.

Since this discussion started I have learned a lot and I have come to the conclusion that there is still a lot more to learn on this subject. As with many things in life the more I learn the more questions I have.

Vince
    When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty. Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I disagree. It's VOODOO
    Maybe it is VOODOO.....a chicken foot hanging from the barrel could effect the harmonics. I'll try it next time I go to the range and write a detailed report on it....
    Last edited by EW1066; 09-23-10 at 10:36.
    When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty. Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
    Maybe it is VOODOO.....a chicken foot hanging from the barrel could effect the harmonics. I'll try it next time I go to the range and write a detailed report on it....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We have talked qualitatively (the what) but we have not talked quantitatively (the how much). So, if asked "how much can the accuracy of an M4 or whatever be improved by load development?" I don't know. My guess is not a heck of a lot. The M4 like most ARs aren't bench rest guns. I've seen, a couple of times, people shooting sub-moa groups with ARs but they had big, heavy barrels.

Maybe it is VOODOO.....a chicken foot hanging from the barrel could effect the harmonics. I'll try it next time I go to the range and write a detailed report on it...
    If you went to a Bench Rest match I doubt you would find a chicken foot hanging from the barrel but I wouldn't be surprised to find one or more of the competitors had one in their back pocket.

I know an old guy who can shoot really, really tiny groups, the kind you read about all the time but almost never actually see. Well, he can do it. If he has his hat. According to him, having the right hat is half the battle. One he showed up on the range and had forgotten his hat. He didn't even take the rifle out of the car. Just left and didn't come back that day. It was futile without the hat.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 09-23-10 at 17:57.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm of the belief that any "quality" barrel can be made to shoot better with judicious fitting, polishing, crowning and load work up. At least that has been my experience with a wide range of firearms, even surplus ones. Even some "not so good" barrels that weren't shot out have responded well to this attention to detail. Before free floating of barrels smiths routinely would tune them by moving the point of contact between barrel and stock. Not so much voodoo as experience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123