Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Length 1911 Guide Rod vs. USGI

Feedback Score
    SIG 1911s use the Colt Series 80 firing pin safety.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)

You just opened a can of worms

There is a great debate even between pistol smiths, on whether it is necessary or even dangerous. Les Baer is famously known for disregarding them as pointless pieces that make your gun heavier, Dave Lauck another highly regarded pistolsmith says otherwise.

"Special Note regarding recoil spring guide rods and the 1911 autopistol:The controversy continues about what type of recoil spring guide rod to use in your 1911 autopistol. there seems to be about an even split beteen those who prefer a short rod and those who prefer a full length recoil spring guide rod. People on each side of the issue insist their position is the 'right' position. Here is some information from Dave Lauck on the matter:
    - The short spring guide rod and standard spring plug allows the pistol to be a little easier to disassemble. This system is used on D&L service model 1911s for those who may be a little less experienced with the 1911.
    - A full length guide rod is used in the D&L Professional model because it does offer some benefits. (The FLGR setup is also simple to disassemble by those with a little more experience with the 1911.) The benefits of the FLGR system include smoother and more consistant tracking of the slide on the frame for each and every shot. More importantly the FLGR stops the live round in the chamber from being extracted from the chamber and ejected from the pistol if the front underside of the slide is slammed into a solid cover object during live fire when the thumb safety is off. Without the FLGR in place the slide will go back far enough to eject the live round from the chamber, but not nessessarily far enough to pick up the next round from the magazine. You can wind up with an empty chamber when you need it if this happens. A FLGR can prevent this occurance, which of course, could be a critical factor in a live situation. "

taken from http://www.dlsports.com/signature_firearms_1911.html
    9/21/2010

I personally have both on my 1911s, I am in the process of removing all guide rods,though, for aesthetics and uniformity rather then functionality.
    "If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin, you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."
    -Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    I am relatively new to 1911's and looking for some guidance. I recently bought a new Kimber Stainless II. As I'm sure most of you know, most of the Kimber line come with a full length guide rod. Normally I would think that a full length rod would be the best choice since all of my other pistols have them, however, the 1911 was specifically designed with a shorter version. I know there are benefits for the USGI size rod, one hand cocking, for instance, but what is the BEST all around choice for a carry piece? I plan on using this piece for on duty carry and off duty concealed carry. So, with that said, please let the debate begin.
    If you are going to keep the Kimber and use it for carry then go out and run the snot out of it. Take it to some classes, run it through some drills, and get as familiar with it as possible before trusting your life with it. Get some good mags, my favorite brand is the Chip McCormick Power Mags but 1911's are sometimes weird about the mags they like so take a look at Wilson and Tripp mags as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the guide rod.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallicus View Post
    There is a great debate even between pistol smiths, on whether it is necessary or even dangerous. Les Baer is famously known for disregarding them as pointless pieces that make your gun heavier, Dave Lauck another highly regarded pistolsmith says otherwise.

"Special Note regarding recoil spring guide rods and the 1911 autopistol:The controversy continues about what type of recoil spring guide rod to use in your 1911 autopistol. there seems to be about an even split beteen those who prefer a short rod and those who prefer a full length recoil spring guide rod. People on each side of the issue insist their position is the 'right' position. Here is some information from Dave Lauck on the matter:
    - The short spring guide rod and standard spring plug allows the pistol to be a little easier to disassemble. This system is used on D&L service model 1911s for those who may be a little less experienced with the 1911.
    - A full length guide rod is used in the D&L Professional model because it does offer some benefits. (The FLGR setup is also simple to disassemble by those with a little more experience with the 1911.) The benefits of the FLGR system include smoother and more consistant tracking of the slide on the frame for each and every shot. More importantly the FLGR stops the live round in the chamber from being extracted from the chamber and ejected from the pistol if the front underside of the slide is slammed into a solid cover object during live fire when the thumb safety is off. Without the FLGR in place the slide will go back far enough to eject the live round from the chamber, but not nessessarily far enough to pick up the next round from the magazine. You can wind up with an empty chamber when you need it if this happens. A FLGR can prevent this occurance, which of course, could be a critical factor in a live situation. "

taken from http://www.dlsports.com/signature_firearms_1911.html
    9/21/2010
    That info comes from a guy who also builds compact 1911's. A lot of reputable 1911 smiths won't touch them for reasons DocGKR already stated.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    That info comes from a guy who also builds compact 1911's. A lot of reputable 1911 smiths won't touch them for reasons DocGKR already stated.
    I understand, just presenting both sides of the argument.

I honestly think its more of a personal choice though, a gun with either can run 100%, just takes time and energy from either you or a good gunsmith. This can be said about any 1911, its the Ferrari of Firearms.
    "If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin, you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."
    -Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    4 (75%)
    Just something else to break . I have seen more than one stop a shooter from finishing a course of fire .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12