Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: thoughts on the mini 14?

Feedback Score

thoughts on the mini 14?

I just picked one up with a folding stock for $350. Clean, I didn't get hurt. But it's my first. So is it true that only the Ruger brand mags are worth running?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by INMIline View Post
    So is it true that only the Ruger brand mags are worth running?

Yes, and stick with the 20rd mags.

They can shoot decently, but they tend to heat up quickly and get POI shift. Cutting the barrel back to 16" and recrowning it actually tends to help in the accuracy department.

What generation is it?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I wouldn't want one over an AR but I'd darned sure consider it for that price. Nice deal.

Feedback Score
    Great price.

Fun little guns, easy to strip.

Mag changes can be sticky, practice with them. Stay with Ruger branded mags.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    meh... they're lame. but i agree that the price you paid is good to go- even if you hate it as much as i hated mine, you could still make money on the deal. i sold my all-weather model for $550 a couple years ago, having paid $420 for it about 8-9 years ago.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mini-14: Sporting/hobby/commercial grade gun. Reliable, but not durable. For best results, use OEM mags and SAAMI spec ammunition only. Shoot it enough and you will have certain parts issues at relatively predictable intervals. If you can get a spare firing pin. You'll be needing it.

Newer generation (580+ series) are better than the older ones.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had one that my father gave me for a high school graduation present. He had bought several back in the early 80's has he could not afford an AR, Valmet, or a Galil back then. I sold it with his blessing back in '04 for $450 and bought my Arsenal SLR-105R with the money. I never looked back...
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    My dad bought one for me years ago when I graduated OSUT. I gave it to him, and it's used as a casual plinker, nothing more.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score

It is what it is.

I love my Mini-14. It is light, handy and reliable. There is nothing tactical about it. Rapid fire more than 40 rounds and you'll melt the barrel

It is like a big 10/22. It's easy to carry and fun as hell to shoot. Mine is a 181 series, which makes it around 30 years old. The only problems I have experienced is with 30 round mags. It is not a high-round-count gun, though I have thousand of rounds through mine. I've only seriously cleaned it 4 times in almost 20 years.

Doing anything to make a Mini-14 "tactical" ruins the beauty of this gun, IMO.

In a pinch, a Mini-14 could be pressed into HD/SD service.

I also really like M1's, M1 Carbines and M14's...which could explain my affection for this gun.

Have fun with yours.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    B.A. Baracus says only use 20rd. Ruger mags.

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast