Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: SCAR vs AR; A detailed look...

Feedback Score
    That answered anything I had to put forth on this.
    ARE you Human , Negative , I am COG popsicle.

Feedback Score
    Interesting thread full of information on so many levels.

Thanks for sharing.
    Philippians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SARETRob,

Very interesting info...Thank you for sharing your perspective and experience.

As far as I'm aware, the military is planning both a M4 PIP and individual carbine competition. In your opinion, do you think we're likely to see the M4 PIP completed and the IC competition fall by the wayside?

That's just what seems most likely to me given tight budgets and all. Upgrading the top-ends and other components of the M4's would appear to be the most cost effective way to achieve improvements to our carbines...and if that program yields a notable performance improvement, then any gains realized with an entirely new platform would be even less justifiable than they are now.

If the IC competition does in fact go to completion and a new carbine is selected, it seems like the SCAR would be a front-runner.

I'm very very curious to see how the M4 PIP and IC competitions pan out. Any insight on that subject would be interesting and greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    feh. nevermind.
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 08-03-11 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by abn45bravo View Post
    I am not trying to call you out or anything but SARET is not allowed to touch SOCOM guns. We have other people for that. Also SCAR is not dead so far only the light is, we have plenty of new heavy's.
    This, exactly.

Feedback Score
    Fantastic thread all around! Great information provided and I definitely learned more about both the SCAR and AR-15 platform in reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by SARETRob View Post
    Well, the SCAR program is dead. Yup it is. Being one of the poor souls that have to repair the SCARs for the military. Believe it. They are not buying anymore MK16s and the MK17s is questionable. And it wasn't the shooters that killed it. It was cost. It was a matter of money after all was said and done. The advantages of the SCAR did not justify the expense.
    Hey, SARETRob, I had a question about what you said (above). Does this mean that the FN SCAR-L/Mk16 is inferior to the military's standard issue M4? Or were you putting it as, while the FN SCAR is a superior firearm to the M4, the expense of replacing the M4 with the SCAR would be too costly for the (small) benefit of the weapon. Leaving the contract or ideas of it to be dropped?

Would this be a similar case to the issue of the Beretta M9 and the Sig Sauer P226? Apparently these were the only two sidearms to meet or pass the needs of the military. And while the P226 was the superior firearm, the contract with the P226 was too costly. Having the military opt for the cheaper Beretta M9.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorMikeLima View Post

Would this be a similar case to the issue of the Beretta M9 and the Sig Sauer P226? Apparently these were the only two sidearms to meet or pass the needs of the military. And while the P226 was the superior firearm, the contract with the P226 was too costly. Having the military opt for the cheaper Beretta M9.

Not to take this thread off topic, but you need to read the GOA report that investigated the choosing of the Beretta over the Sig. It's been talked about on this very website. Your version gets passed around a lot, but that's not the entire truth...

Feedback Score
    For a laugh, compare the test requirements that approved the 1911 back in the day and the test requirements for todays search for a replacement. So close it's funny. Looking for almost the same thing 100 years latter. Then come the bean counters, red tape and commities.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Love the SCAR...just cant afford it...give it time..it will be affordable

Feedback Score
    very intersting

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast