Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCAR vs AR; A detailed look...

Feedback Score
    Next we look at the cam pin “travel” slot. You will notice this slot on the AR to be very short and abrupt when compared to the Scar. The slot on the AR is 0.6440” in full travel length with my well used calipers, and the slot on the Scar is 1.082. That is a drastic increase in the time it takes to unlock the bolt on a Scar versus an AR. One will also notice the slot on the Scar is more gradual in twist. The AR bolt starts to unlock almost immediately when the carrier moves to the rear. The Scar carrier moves almost an entire half inch before the bolt starts to unlock. What does this do? It allows for a little bit longer period of time before the bolt unlocks and removes the spent cartridge. Why is this beneficial? It allows the cartridge more time to cool back down and shrink from its expanded state against the chamber walls.
    I think the 7 lug AR bolt and its short cam track is a result of having to use gas rings around the bolt, which is a point of friction.

In order for the expanding gas to be as efficient as possible in cycling the BCG, you design a rotating bolt with the shortest lock/unlock distance.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thank you for putting the time and effort into this. Quite a bit of good information here.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Hootiewho, thank you for taking the time to do all of this and post it up for us.

Feedback Score
    Excellent post, thanks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Great post! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Great job on getting to the "meat and potatoes" of the topic.

Mods this might make a good sticky.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Great job on getting to the "meat and potatoes" of the topic.

Mods this might make a good sticky.
    +1.
    This is very eye opening analysis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Could you post up a pic of your scar with 762sd attached? I am looking into the 762sd as a suppressor for a few one my rifles(one of which is the scar), but I would like to see how large the 762sd is when mounted to the scar before making any purchases.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This is an awesome review. It is quite surprising how much heat these things can generate. Including the ACR in this mix would have been cool. I think I prefer the ACR over the SCAR.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow! Great info.
    I love my SCAR 16s and am on the list for a 17s.

I prefer the SCAR to my Colts (well Colt now as I sold the 6940)
    Recoil seems milder or more "spread out" and I find follow up shots faster. I find it much more lefty friendly also

Thanks for your work

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast