Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Bushmaster Or Stag Arms?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    However, those barrels are 4140 steel, and are not tested in any meaningful way (HPT/MPI). Accuracy is not the sole determiner of firearms quality. For many firearms enthusiasts, it's a point of pride that the firearms they purchase are top quality. That means top-quality materials, top-quality engineering, and top-quality quality control. Many people who would buy a Bushmaster or DPMS without hesitation and defend that weapon vigorously would NEVER stoop so low as to buy a Hi-Tec or Star handgun, yet Bushy and DPMS are in that same, budget-weapon price-point category, and for the same reasons.

I find it interesting that any given thread on DPMS or Bushmaster immediately gets posters declaring that they're rifle is accurate and totally reliable. Yet when there are posts on chambers out of spec, or broken bolts, it's invariably a rifle from the Bushmaster end of the chart.

I have a Stag 2T. It's been a great rifle, and like every other Stag owner, MY rifle has been 100% reliable over several thousand rounds. But I also own a couple of Noveske's. In comparing, I have no illusions about the relative quality between the two.
    I never said they were high-end. I just said they work well. At this point in my life I cant afford a bunch of high end stuff. Having toddler twins kinda keeps that from happening. One of these days down the road...... maybe but for now whatever it aint broke. I don't shoot millions of rounds but I do shoot Hundreds so I suspect these barrels will last long enough to get me to the point that I can afford some higher end barrels.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm no metallurgist... but everything I can find is saying their barrels are 4150. I have no idea if thats even any better of worse but whats what I keep finding in my limited searching. Still not saying High-end... just say'n

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by motorwerks View Post
    I never said they were high-end. I just said they work well. At this point in my life I cant afford a bunch of high end stuff. Having toddler twins kinda keeps that from happening. One of these days down the road...... maybe but for now whatever it aint broke. I don't shoot millions of rounds but I do shoot Hundreds so I suspect these barrels will last long enough to get me to the point that I can afford some higher end barrels.
    Do you shoot at all? How much does ammo cost? Even with a $50 / month budget (100 rounds a month), holding off on your shooting can save up an extra $600 / year. Factor in a tax return, bonuses from work, gifts, and you can make the $1000 for a NICE BCM or DD rifle very easily in a 12 month or less period. And that's for a complete RIFLE, not a barrel. I'd assume your finances aren't that dismal, as you dropped $305 on barrels alone, so you should be able to save it even faster.

I'm in a similar position as you: new house, new baby, etc., and that means my firearms are now second to family expenses, but that doesn't mean I settle for cheaper quality; I simply prioritize and save accordingly. I don't know about you, but I'll easily put off shooting for a year if it means getting a quality weapon over a bargain-bin model that may or may not run.

The truth is, anyone who owns an AR and shoots it doesn't have a money issue (unless it was flat-out given to them as gift). They are simply either impatient or too short-sighted to see the reality of the matter (which is fine, but at least admit it).
    Last edited by Skyyr; 10-25-10 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    Factor in a tax return, bonuses from work, gifts, and you can make the $1000 for a NICE BCM or DD rifle very easily in a 12 month or less period.

I don't know about you, but I'll easily put off shooting for a year if it means getting a quality weapon over a bargain-bin model that may or may not run.

The truth is, anyone who owns an AR and shoots it doesn't have a money issue (unless it was flat-out given to them as gift). They are simply either impatient or too short-sighted to see the reality of the matter.
    I shoot just about once a month....... I'm not going to be putting it off anytime soon and sure as hell not putting it off for a year. I also do not get gifts, tax returns or bonuses I'm currently an independent contractor, with 2 year old twins lol. I don't have any "Bargin-bin" models, and my guns all run just fine, thanks. Hell my 20 inch with the Bushmaster barrel has a Young NM Chrome BCG and a JP trigger but I bought those before the kids came.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by motorwerks View Post
    I shoot just about once a month....... I'm not going to be putting it off anytime soon and sure as hell not putting it off for a year. I also do not get gifts, tax returns or bonuses I'm currently an independent contractor, with 2 year old twins lol. I don't have any "Bargin-bin" models, and my guns all run just fine, thanks. Hell my 20 inch with the Bushmaster barrel has a Young NM Chrome BCG and a JP trigger but I bought those before the kids came.
    I'm also an independent contractor and have been one for 3 years . Like I said, you can make a way, or you can make excuses. However, using the excuse that "I've got expenses" is wrong - you just stated that you didn't want to put off shooting for a few months and that you dropped $305 on Bushmaster barrels. That isn't a "money" issue, it's a patience issue, which is what is boils down to 99.9% of the time when someone buys a lower-grade AR.

You could have saved $50 per month for the next 3 months and gotten a Noveske or BCM barrel (which have lasted in excess of 30,000 rounds) instead of the Bushmaster barrels.

It's your choice and yours alone, but don't come here and tell everyone that you "had" to purchase a 2nd tier option, because you didn't.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 10-25-10 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think you missed my point though..... I'm perfectly content with my barrels. They shoot well with in my needs.

AND I never said I "had" to purchase a 2nd tier option. Hell the only two things so far anyone can say is that their barrels are made from 4140 and not 4150 AND they are batch tested. I'm ok with batch tested really, its better then not at all, and from what I can find they are 4150.

I simply said they werent "High-end" I dont really call BCM High-end ether. JP, and Sundevil are what I would call a "High-end".

Edit: I forgot there was a list way back a few pages one I can think of off of the top was the chamber was tight, I can shoot 5.56 out of them both with no problems. Ether was I'M CONTENT!
    Last edited by motorwerks; 10-25-10 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    How well is the gas key staked on the bolt carrier?
    2009 Stag, 2007 Bush, 2009 Charles Daly.

2009 Stag on left (Notice gas key wall thickness and lack of proper staking.)
    I save money using AMSOIL full synthetic lubricants. Do you?
    http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've gone through about a half dozen brands of AR over the years. As others have said, the Stags, Bushmasters, DPMS, RR,....etc rifles will shoot, but they simply do not have the reliability or durability of the top tier rifles.

If I was in the market for a new AR, with today's technology, I'd go for another BCM middy with hammer forged barrel. I've had a number of Colts over the years, and the only one that I've kept has been my full length 20" A2. Right now though, my BCMs get the bulk of my shooting use with crappy ammo and dirty environments.......and they just keep on working. It's hard to beat the price on the BCMs too.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I think this has been beaten to death.
    Again.

Again.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales