Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why not permanently attach a Flash Hider w/ +1,100 degree silver solder?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    You guys can keep making excuses for crappy AR15 builds.
    Mr. Rausch has conducted a professional AR technical discussion without kicking much in the way of baseless opinion about people and editorializing, concentrating instead on describing the process and providing examples. Let's be generous and say you've benefitted the discussion by providing a stark contrast to Mr Rausch.

Randall, thanks; you've answered some stuff I've been forgetting to ask for some time now.
    Last edited by JSantoro; 09-23-10 at 10:12.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score

Silver Solder

I've pinned and welded only a few flash suppressors but would never do the silver solder due to the ATF heat requirement. But I have to say after seeing that picture posted by develdoglib. That person didn't know what they were doing. I've done a few silver solder jobs putting sights on shotguns that were parkerized. You parker first, carefully file, grind away parkerizing on the area to be soldered, tin your piece first, apply chalk to areas that you don't want solder to stick to, and use a low temp silver solder. Cosmetics are intact and the sights wont fall of. I'm not a professional, but get to play one in my garage LOL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Reasons:

...It makes you a wannabe.

It ruins the value of your gun.

Buy a 16" barrel or SBR instead.
    I guess I'm a wannabe for building an M4gery using the BCM 14.5" upper with pinned FH. I guess the fact that I wanted to closely replicate the weight and handling characteristic of an M4 does make me a wanna be.

I am also currently the Team Chief/Leader of a 6-man element that is part of an Airborne Army Reserve unit which may be deploying in the next couple of years to some mountainous country.

Oh yeah. I'm a wannabe.
    Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 09-23-10 at 14:11.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234