Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat TTU follow up.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)

Wilson Combat TTU follow up.

I recently started a thread asking about feedback about the Wilson Combat TTU single stage trigger. I received a good amount of helpful feedback from this thread that seemed mostly positive.

Previously I was using a Geissele SSA trigger in my rifle which is a very nice two stage trigger. I shoot mostly within 50 yards and 98% of the time it is not shooting off a bench.

The Geissele SSA had been a fantastic two stage trigger but for me it was not the right trigger. I was looking for a single stage with a light crisp break, fast trigger reset, and consistency in trigger pull.

After reading various feedback about single stage triggers I finally settled on the Wilson Combat TTU single stage trigger. Initially after doing some research I discovered people have put a pretty decent round count through these higher end single stage triggers so I felt comfortable with the reliability feedback.

At first I felt the trigger was too expensive so I was very apprehensive. I sold off a few goodies and pulled the trigger on the TTU.

So far I have about 1500 rounds of Hornady 55gr. steel case training ammo and 62gr. brown bear through the TTU. The trigger has been consistent and flawless so far in terms of reliability.

The benefits I have observed have been that the TTU is an extremely fast trigger. I am not sure exactly how to describe the benefit in speed because I am not an extremely experienced shooter.

When you put your finger on the trigger and begin to squeeze on most other triggers I have used in the past you may feel a little grit and a tiny bit of pre travel. The TTU delivers a clean crisp consistent break. There is no take up or any thing of that sort.

The reset is phenomenally short and positive. This feels like a finely tuned 1911 trigger to me. One issue I have observed is that on my very first magazine I put through my rifle after purchasing this trigger is that I thought it had double fired.

I discovered that with the short reset and light weight what happened was my finger let off enough quick enough to allow the trigger to reset and fire twice. I'm not sure how else to describe this but after I had observed this I was easily able to adjust and it did not occur again.

The break feels like its around 3.5-4LBS. This may be a problem for some who desire a bit more weight in their trigger. Definitely keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire !

Pros:

- Clean crisp break with no take up.

- Lightning fast and positive reset.

- Trigger pull feels light yet not too light for a duty carbine. Easy to control.

Cons:

- Price is pretty high but if the unit holds up as well as a USGI trigger in the long run it would be worth it to me.

- Not user serviceable in terms of spring replacement.

- May be too light for some who prefer a 5-8lbs trigger pull on a duty rifle. In a stressful situation if you do not train to keep your finger off the trigger the TTU will most likely be a liability.

Overall I am thrilled with this trigger even with the low round count I have put through it. I can tell you that of all the single stage and two stage triggers I have shot so far for me this has been the fastest and has aided my accuracy while firing quickly. So far as long as the trigger holds up I have no regrets.

Next range trip is going to be in a few weeks and I can't wait.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Curious if you have tried a JP complete FCG, and how the Wilson compares. JP known for crisp break and short reset as well.

Thanks,
    Mark

Feedback Score
    "This feels like a finely tuned 1911 trigger"

Yeah, I think they may not a thing or two about how a trigger should feel

I have had the JP, and the SSA and the TTU (my favorite)
    Charles Coker

Disclosure statement:
    Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
    Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
    Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks. Will have to check out the ttu.
    Mark

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    On a side note when I received the TTU trigger it was short one of the FCG pins. I also discovered my lower needed a new safety detent as well as I had disassembled the safety as well as removed the old trigger group.

I PM'd Wilson Combat rep here on this board and he had one sent to me asap as well as a new detent for no charge ! Great customer service so far. He responded to my PM's very quickly.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Have you tried a Timney? I run a 3lb Timney, has an excellent track record and is crisp with fast reset. Not sure what you paid for the TTU but you can pick up the Timney for around $168. 4lb is too heavy IMO, especially for the price of admission.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    I was not exactly looking for any thing below 4lbs. I was looking for something lighter than USGI with a clean break and fast reset. I was looking for something which would give me speed and accuracy due to lighter consistent trigger pull than a USGI trigger. I was also looking for something at least as reliable as a USGI trigger pack and the SSA this TTU is replacing.

After trying one of the best two stage triggers available I was satisfied with the results while shooting slowly for accuracy. While trying to fire quickly and accurately I sometimes found myself anticipating the second stage trigger pull and jerking it. I'm not quite sure how to describe it but the two stage was just not right for me. Nothing wrong with two stage just not right for me.

I have read about other after market tuned trigger but my fear was feedback I had read in AAR's about these triggers on various boards from instructors. I would be happy to hear feedback about other single stage triggers similar to the TTU from those who have used them on this board.

I have read enough about after market triggers shitting themselves and failing in some way during high round count classes. This turned me off to all but the SSA. I had not read any thing negative about the TTU.

With that said the only review I have read about a TTU going through a lot of rounds was from Stickman who reported around 20k trigger pulls and no problems I believe.

I have yet to read any thing negative or positive from a training company such as EAG, Magpul, or others about the TTU.

Honestly I would not have bought this trigger yet unless I had sold enough items to make up the cost. My first priority at this time in terms of firearms is to get some decent training next year or if possible at the earliest around the december time frame. I am starting to do my research about that and hopefully will have the ability to schedule time off for training.
    Last edited by og556; 09-17-10 at 22:35.

Feedback Score
    I'd be interested in seeing how this stacks up against the AR Gold Trigger PACT is selling. They sound an awful lot alike. AR Gold pulls at around 3-3.5 lbs which may be a little light, but they say they got a follow-on version in the pipeline that's more tactically oriented, but no estimated release date.

Feedback Score
    The OP's experience is just about precisely the same as mine. I couldn't be more pleased, and will probably be putting another one on another lower of mine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing how this stacks up against the AR Gold Trigger PACT is selling. They sound an awful lot alike. AR Gold pulls at around 3-3.5 lbs which may be a little light, but they say they got a follow-on version in the pipeline that's more tactically oriented, but no estimated release date.
    I can tell you that the TTU and the AR-Gold are completely different animals. The only resemblance is the modular construction.

The TTU is the only modular trigger that can be installed without tools since there is no selector removal required. The TTU can be also be replaced or cleaned in the field without having to loosen or tighten any screws. The TTU is non-adjustable and factory set for an exquisite pull weight. We haven't worn one out yet-buut we are still trying.
    Last edited by wilsoncombatrep; 09-21-10 at 22:28.
    Often Imitated-NEVER Duplicated
    Wilson Combat Online Representative
    m4carbine.net SITE SPONSOR
    www.wilsoncombat.com
    info@wilsoncombat.com
    (800) 955-4856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast