Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why not permanently attach a Flash Hider w/ +1,100 degree silver solder?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post

Scotty,

Not sure about the wanna be? I have an SBR and I am three months into the wait for the approval of my second SBR tax stamp.

I have a 14.5" middy and had an AAC flash hider pinned. I think it would have looked alot better soldered.

If the finish is messed up because of the high heat that would be a good reason to steer clear? Have you used the heat stop and chaulk method? If it does not work well then looks like pinning is the way to go.

I don't see the point in spending $200 for a 14.5" bbl. I would want to go shorter for an SBR especially with the perm FH as an option. I wanted at least one non SBR to make travel easier.

How would it ruin the value of your gun? If the heat stop and chaulk work then I would think it would make the gun easier to sell.

If you have an SBR already, why are you getting more permanent flash hiders?

Why not get more NFA uppers?
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-21-10 at 15:52.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    Well said.

My biggest complaint about silver solder jobs as typically done on AR barrels is that they don't pass BATFE's "common hand tools" test.
    The way I saw it explained is that if you can remove a muzzle device with common handtools and non damage the barrel beyond use in the act of that, then the Batfe would not consider the job to have been permanent.
    I have removed many silver soldered muzzle devices with a 3/4" combination wrench.
    That's a pretty "common" hand tool in my book.

Here is an example of one such barrel that had been re-parkerized after the silver solder job:

man thats ugly brings a tear to my eye
    DEATH SMILES AT US ALL, ALL WE CAN DO IS SMILE BACK

Feedback Score
    When you twist off a pinned muzzle device, you damage the barrel beyond use...

You would not believe some of the things people send me.
    That's why I take pictures.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post

If you are a collector who doesn't shoot your guns, then this might be a concern to you.

Irrelavent.

When you go to sell this barrel after an inexperienced person realizes their foolish ways to get an SBR, they will lose money. The money they could have bought a tax stamp with in the first place.

It has nothing to do with collectability.

There is a noticeable difference when getting in & out of a vehicle and negotiating tight hallways/doorways with a 14.5"+perm flash hider vs. a 16" with a muzzle device attached.
    I already know that. That is the only valid reason for this if you live in a communist state.
    Last edited by scottryan; 09-21-10 at 15:51.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I love my SBR and can't wait for my second to be approved. I've been bitten by the bug. I wish we could have supressors here in VT. My checkbook is glad we can not. Like I said earlier I wanted one non SBR so I do not need a travel letter if I want to take an AR out of state.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote:
    There is a noticeable difference when getting in & out of a vehicle and negotiating tight hallways/doorways with a 14.5"+perm flash hider vs. a 16" with a muzzle device attached.

Quote:
    I already know that.

so what exactly makes people who want to do this a wannabe ?
    DEATH SMILES AT US ALL, ALL WE CAN DO IS SMILE BACK

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogljb View Post
    Quote:

Quote:
    I already know that.

I'd still rather have a 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IMO: It's far easier to just let ADCO pin it for $30. I've gotten it done by them several times in the past (one very recently) and all have been perfect.

Every time I've gotten my upper back in 5-7 days as well.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogljb View Post
    See my warning above in blue. I've asked that the "wannabe" discussion be ceased, please let it end.

Thanks.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Here is an example of one such barrel that had been re-parkerized after the silver solder job:

[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    When you twist off a pinned muzzle device, you damage the barrel beyond use...

You would not believe some of the things people send me.
    That's why I take pictures.
    The first photos were scary looking the second ones made me laugh! This is exactly what I was looking for thank you. I thought there must have been a good reason. If it is too good to be true there is usually a reason.

Keep the camera handy!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast