Thread: Shotgun ammo... low recoil or regular Slugs

Feedback Score

Shotgun ammo... low recoil or regular Slugs

Hey guy,
    I'm buying some Frederal ammo but I'm not sure if I should get the regular rifled slug or the low recoil slug.
    The ammo is LEB127 RS and LE127 LRS.

BTW velocity for the 2 as per website is 1300 and 1600 fps
    Thanks
    Last edited by rickp; 08-04-11 at 08:54.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    Depends on what you intend to do with it. My use for slugs is competition so I use low recoil but would not hesitate to use it for serious social purposes. If you are trying to stretch the range for hunting, the full power of magnum might be better.

Feedback Score
    No, no hunting. Only training and HD. I kind if figured the low recoil would fill my needs better but wanted to confirm with other just in case.

R.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    low recoil is good stuff. But if you shoot just as good with standard slugs go for it. Try it out first before you decide on buying a bunch.

FYI I used to go with low recoil but now that I have the enidine shock buffe on my 590 I switched back.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    Hey guy,
    I'm buying some Frederal ammo but I'm not sure if I should get the regular rifled slug or the low recoil slug.
    The ammo is LEB127 RS and LE127 LRS.

BTW velocity for the 2 as per website is 1300 and 1600 fps
    Thanks
    Depends on what your mission is. We use our shotguns loaded with Breneke 2 3/4 mags for bear and moose. We don't use our shotguns for anything else. Our rifles are for gun calls. So if you need to put down 4 legged threats go with Breneke slugs or similar hardened lead slug. Skip the fosters they suck. But for 2 legged threats low recoil is fine if you are stuck with a shotgun as your only long gun.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    I think the only concern that I've heard about low-recoil slugs is to make sure you test them for consistency out of your shotgun. The low-recoil loads with slugs may put your POI all over the place with some makes.

Ditto on Breneke slugs being highly recommended if available however... just a bit harder to find at Walmart!
    Last edited by scootle; 10-14-11 at 03:26.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Buy some of both, also you might want to look into cheap centurion for plinking. I've used them with good results to 50 yds and they are economical. I also wouldn't hesitate to use them as a defense round either, as far as I'm concerned i'd rather not get shot at with anything bigger than a spitball.
    "After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

FOX is NOT news, its entertainment

"AND ITS HARD. . .TO HOLD BACK THE HATE"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    depends if you're talking about a pump or semi-automatic also. some sa shotguns won't cycle low recoil loads.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
    depends if you're talking about a pump or semi-automatic also. some sa shotguns won't cycle low recoil loads.
    That is more a case with low recoil buck shot vs slugs. I have not had an issue with any auto shotgun working with low recoil slugs. Low recoil buck is another story.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.