Thread: ar15 9mm hammer question

Feedback Score

ar15 9mm hammer question

can anyone please explain why a regular ar15 223 hammer wont work on a 9mm upper???? why does the hammer need to have a cutout and lightend????? and will a 9mm hammer work on 223 upper???
    Last edited by kiki; 09-25-10 at 13:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The notch on a regular AR hammer can get caught on the bolt. I have heard you can run a 9mm hammer without problems in a 223. The rounded DPMS hammer can be used without issue with some 9mm bolts.

My 9mm is a dedicated 9mm, I can't place a 5.56 upper on it unless I want a single shot so I haven't tried it out.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    If you're planning on running multiple caliber uppers on your lower, then use a DPMS style hammer. You won't have any worries on catching your hammer on the bolt.

Feedback Score

rounded hammer?

are you talking about the notch on the top of the hammer...my stag hammer doesnt have that notch.....and i was thinking of polishing the face and rounded top for less friction....

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki View Post
    are you talking about the notch on the top of the hammer...my stag hammer doesnt have that notch.....and i was thinking of polishing the face and rounded top for less friction....
    Yes. If there's no notch in your hammer then you won't need a 9mm hammer.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)