Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger's New Mini-30 Tactical

Feedback Score
    I was so close to getting a mini-30 but I found a local shop selling .308 saigas for $470
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    Were there any issues with the new 20 rounders in your test? Finally a step in the right direction for Ruger.
    I only have the one magazine for the rifle right now but it hasn't given me any troubles.

I would like to get a few more to play with. I'd like to see how the mags handle some typical abuse. I don't plan on intentionally trying to damage one but I'd like to see how the feed lips hold up from being dropped a couple times, etc.

Feedback Score
    Great. Looks handy. I cannot wait to give one a try

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've just returned home from my second jaunt out to the hills with my Mini-30 and my chronograph. Today I shot some Yugo M67, S&B 123gr FMJ, Winchester Value Pack 123gr FMJ, Fiocchi 123gr FMJ and some more of my handloads using a 123gr soft point and Viht N-130 powder.

Chrono info:
    Yugo M67 1st string of five
    Lo 2341
    Hi 2381
    Av 2360
    ES 40.08
    SD 14.52

Yugo M67 2nd string of five
    Lo 2353
    Hi 2390
    Av 2372
    ES 37.19
    SD 14.03
    The Yugoslavian ammo is accurate and consistent stuff and seems to be excellent ammo. Too bad it's corrosive. Since the Mini-30 doesn't have a chrome lined bore, a good cleaning is mandatory if you're going to use this stuff. Anyway, this ammo shoots 3" out of the Ruger.

These are pretty typical with the Ruger. I didn't have anything to use for scale so I thought a dollar would be a good way to measure overall group sizes.

S&B 123gr FMJ
    Lo 2263
    Hi 2430
    Av 2349
    ES 166.3
    SD 47.79
    The Ruger didn't seem to care for this stuff. I think my best group was probably about 5" with this stuff. Inconsistent velocities and poor accuracy.

Fiocchi 123gr FMJ
    Lo 2344
    Hi 2508
    Av 2442
    ES 164.2
    SD 49.38
    This ammo, like the S&B, doesn't seem to shoot very well. Accuracy was similar to the S&B stuff with groups running 5" or more. Again, note the inconsistent velocities.

Reloads with 123gr soft points and N-130
    Lo 2283
    Hi 2334
    Av 2301
    ES 50.66
    SD 20.24
    This stuff is about as accurate as anything and I'll have to give it a try at 200 and 300 yards.

Winchester Value Pack FMJ
    Lo 2405
    Hi 2464
    Av 2432
    ES 59.75
    SD 23.66
    This stuff appears to be some pretty good ammo. I had some good accuracy with it and the velocities were higher than expected.

Here's a group of ten rounds with the Winchester stuff:

I have about 300 rounds through the Mini-30 now and have been pleased with it. I've had no malfunctions of any kind and the gun shoots most ammo fairly well. I'm curious to see what it can do with an optic attached.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've had a couple of Minis over the years and didn't keep any of them.

What does this version weigh?

Also, something like this with a RDS may be just the ticket.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    I've had a couple of Minis over the years and didn't keep any of them.

What does this version weigh?

Also, something like this with a RDS may be just the ticket.
    The Ruger website shows the Mini-30's weight to be 6.75 pounds. Using my bathroom scale, I get about eight pounds with a loaded magazine in place.

I thought about an Ultimak but I'm concerned with heat. I have one of their mounts on an M-1A and it gets really hot after a few mags.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Ruger website shows the Mini-30's weight to be 6.75 pounds. Using my bathroom scale, I get about eight pounds with a loaded magazine in place.

I thought about an Ultimak but I'm concerned with heat. I have one of their mounts on an M-1A and it gets really hot after a few mags.

Put an Aimpoint on there and no worries.

Eotech, no go.

POS Aimpoint clone....no go.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess I'm more concerned with burning my delicate little fingers. The Mini-30 stock has a rather narrow forend and there's not much room for my support hand fingers.

I'm thinking something like a Leupold Delta Point might be a nice option. I wonder if anyone makes a mount for it that'll clamp to the front factory Ruger scope mount.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You could go with an Aimpoint 9000SC. You would be able to mount it on the receiver and you'd only need to purchase 30mm rings.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I guess I'm more concerned with burning my delicate little fingers. The Mini-30 stock has a rather narrow forend and there's not much room for my support hand fingers.
    Legitmate concern. The Ulitmak didn't work out for me on an AK until I made some changes to the lower handguard that keeps my sensitive mitts far enough away from it. FWIW, the new set up below is now working out better than expected;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast