Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modify TRP Mag Well?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Modify TRP Mag Well?

I have and really like my TRP. My only grip is the mag well will not accept Chip M- 10 round mags. And my Nighthawk Mags dont fit well either. The Wilsons are fine.

Has anyone taken their TRP and filed, or opened up the mag well a bit so other mags don't get jammed? I saw a guy file his Mags, but that sucks. I would like to think I could pick up any mag and be GTG.

Any feedback?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    what magwell do you have?
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    I have a loaded that was customized by EGW. One of the things I had them do was to blend a S&A magwell to the frame. I am not sure if that is what you are talking about but if it is it's the cats ass. I have some pictures on my hard drive at home. If you want I can post them later tonight.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Guys, the mag-well is the mag-well that comes standard on the TRP. No aftermarket deal to my knowledge. I think if it was blended , per se, that would work fine. Im looking to find out if anyone has blended it. With good results.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    normally, blending just smooths the interface of the two bevels (the MS magwell, and the pistol's magwell). it normally wont change the inner dimension of the magwells. if your magwell is the S&A type, I've seen some that were "pinched" so it was smaller then the pistol's magwell, and therefore causing mags to hang up. there's no support at the front of the magwell to prevent bending in the sides.

here's a blended magwell on my 1911, it would take alot of "pinching" to get this to hang up a mag

"you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    ...here's a blended magwell on my 1911, it would take alot of "pinching" to get this to hang up a mag
    If I understand his problem correctly, it's the top edge of the magazine base pads that are hitting the mag well before the magazine is fully seated and not the magazine body getting "pinched" by the width of the mag well.

You can remove material from the mag well or the base pads. If you decide to work on the mag well then you need to be able to file/grind/blend/smooth/polish and refinish the mag well until it's function and cosmetics are acceptable to you. If your file or grinder strays into the frame then you need to be able to do the same with your frame.

It's not a big job but there is some potential to damage your magwell or frame if you get carried away.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's the base plate that causes the issue between the Power mags and the TRP mag well. The cheapest solution is to just remove material from the base plates. I have several of the older 10 rounders that feature a different plate design and have no issue with them locking in place in my TRP Operator.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    If I understand his problem correctly, it's the top edge of the magazine base pads that are hitting the mag well before the magazine is fully seated and not the magazine body getting "pinched" by the width of the mag well.
    Ah, I see. I think the ACT/Novak mags do the same with some magwells. I had it in my mind that he had the same problem Frogman mentioned. that a S&A magwell got squeezed so hard, that it pinched the mag into the gun
    Last edited by theJanitor; 09-29-10 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It seems that I need it blended. And that it would solve all my problems. I dont want to have to file all my mags down. So, it looks like I will go that route. Thanks

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Not blending the inner frame opening is a real bummer on the TRP. I guess Springfieled thought they would save a few dollers and eliminate that feature which is included on there lesser priced pistols. Same way that they use whatever parts came in that day to build pistols. Thats why over the years, one would see two indenical Springfield pistols in the shop, one with a blued guiderod, one with a stainless steel one.

FYI...The latest generation of Chip McCormick 10 round Power Mags has an extra relief cut on the extended mag base to eliminate magwell bind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast