Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blown primers running 14.5 w/ suppressor

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

blown primers running 14.5 w/ suppressor

This weekend i was running a 14.5 DI carbine length gas system with a surefire FA556 suppressor and at least once a mag experienced a blown primer (Top hatted primer). I though ammo problem first but i experienced issues with 55gr PMC, Lake City M855, IMI M855, Hornady 75gr and black hills 77 gr. When i removed the suppressor the problem was not occurring at the same rate. I'm thinking over pressure but thats as far as I've gotten. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Last edited by texas12; 10-04-10 at 22:09.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    first time running that suppressor?
    I'd contact surefire about it...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I would be suspicious about chamber dimension.
    Sound to me like you have something a bit tighter than a 5.56 Nato chamber.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    first time running that suppressor?
    I'd contact surefire about it...
    I thought it might be the suppressor so i put on a buddys gun and no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Barrel is marked 5.56 and i have not had any issues with military 5.56 loads in the past. do you think the suppressor (and added pressure) just inflamed an existing problem?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by texas12 View Post
    Barrel is marked 5.56 and i have not had any issues with military 5.56 loads in the past. do you think the suppressor (and added pressure) just inflamed an existing problem?
    I think that the increased fouling in the throat/lead might be exascerbating the issue, and if removing the suppressor made the issue go away I am inclined to believe that it is doind something else as well, though it is a bit counter-intuitive as far as operation goes.
    Who is the manufacturer of the barrel? Not all 5.56 marked barrels are actually 5.56 dimension chambers.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 10-04-10 at 12:35.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    +1. If it's with multiple dif types of ammo, I'd explore the chamber dimensions a little more.

You may want to look for a 5.56NATO chamber reamer by Ned Christiansen at Michiguns. A "5.56 NATO" stamp on the barrel does not always mean a 5.56 NATO chamber, unfortunately. Certain manufacturers have been known to stamp the barrel as 5.56 NATO, but when a chamber reamer was applied, MUCH material was removed.

A 5.56 NATO chamber reamer should basically spin freely if your chamber is already within 5.56 NATO dimensions. If you have closer to a .223 SAAMI chamber, it will drag and you'll feel it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think that the increased fouling in the throat/lead might be exascerbating the issue, and if removing the suppressor made the issue go away I am inclined to believe that it is doind something else as well, though it is a bit counter-intuitive as far as operation goes.
    Who is the manufacturer of the barrel? Not all 5.56 marked barrels are actually 5.56 dimension chambers.
    It is a goverment profile CMMG with .750 low pro gas block. I have also expecienced more then usally malfunctions in the last month as well. Just not to this extent.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    When is the last time you thoroughly cleaned the chamber and bore?
    How often (round count) do you normally clean the chamber and bore?
    What issues have you seen recently?
    I have heard reports of CMMG guns with tight chambers, so it is possible that you are seeing these issues popping up recently due to accumulated fouling in the throat/leade.
    I am not saying that this is definately the issue, just trying to help diagnose if this might be a problem, because a good scrubbing is a lot cheaper than any other fix I know.
    You might want to have your chamber hit by Ned Christiansen's 5.56 reamer, but if no one in your area has one you can borrow or rent or have a gunsmiff use, it is kinda cost-prohibitive.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have personally owned a CMMG gun marked as 5.56NATO that was not. Thanks to them, I spent the better part of a 3-day rifle class shooting a handgun instead...I should probably thank them for all the transition practice. As has been suggested, check the chamber.
    Jake Sebens
    Ares Gear, LLC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When is the last time you thoroughly cleaned the chamber and bore?
    about two weeks ago i did a thoroughly clean and used a parts washer too.

How often (round count) do you normally clean the chamber and bore?
    any time i shoot the gun I clean it and usally thoroughly.

What issues have you seen recently?
    I have heard reports of CMMG guns with tight chambers, so it is possible that you are seeing these issues popping up recently due to accumulated fouling in the throat/leade.
    I have experienced failure to eject a few times, were the spent casing is very tight and i had to hit my stock against the ground to get the round out. I have also experienced failure to eject were the bolt ripped the rim of the casing. I'm starting to think the chamber is the problem.

I am not saying that this is definately the issue, just trying to help diagnose if this might be a problem, because a good scrubbing is a lot cheaper than any other fix I know.
    You might want to have your chamber hit by Ned Christiansen's 5.56 reamer, but if no one in your area has one you can borrow or rent or have a gunsmiff use, it is kinda cost-prohibitive.
    The chamber does not seem like its fouled up. Is it possible its time for a new barrel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast